Sonic Fiber -- question about "RG Rental"

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
36 posts Page 1 of 4
by joyjit » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:47 pm
Hi,

I am in San Francisco where Sonic Gigabit Fiber is available (Yay!).
So I went through the online process and added the recommended services to the cart.

I noticed that there is a $10/mo charge for "RG Rental".

I assume this is the "rental" price for the Fiber modem.

Can I just purchase this equipment myself and avoid this monthly fee?

Thanks in advance!
by dane » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:26 pm
Yes, that is correct. It also includes advance replacement of any failed equipment, and field service - you won't be charged a fee if we've got to send a technician out to fix anything. And it has the added benefit of giving support full telemetry on your link, including WiFi, so they have good visibility and can assist with issues.

No, we do not offer the equipment for sale.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by joyjit » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:08 pm
Got it. Seems like there is no way to avoid the $10/mo fee then.

If I wanted to stick to using my own Router and my own Wifi can I disable the router (and Wifi AP) that sonic provides and hook up the modem directly to my router?

Thanks
by dane » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:55 pm
joyjit wrote:Got it. Seems like there is no way to avoid the $10/mo fee then.

If I wanted to stick to using my own Router and my own Wifi can I disable the router (and Wifi AP) that sonic provides and hook up the modem directly to my router?

Thanks
Yep, that'd work. You can turn off the WiFi in our equipment, and plug something in behind it - an Eero setup, for example, is a popular solution that can provide expanded coverage and good speeds.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by digitalbitstream » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:41 am
dane wrote:No, we do not offer the equipment for sale.
Dane:
Ok, as with DSL service you don't offer the equipment for sale.
Will Sonic support tolerate customers who supply their own RG?
The Adran 411 has a single gigabit ethernet port.... that gets you from fiber to ethernet. What's the gateway need from that point PPPoE? DHCP? Is the Adran 411 remotely manageable if disconnected from the RG?

For myself: I have no interest in your $120/year "insurance" plan for supporting failed equipment or field service. It's a good deal for you, not a good deal for me. I wish to supply my own higher end router (and my own "HDTV" antenna and UPS to complete the package). Your UPS looks great: https://www.powertecsolutions.net/solut ... micro-ups/
by pguthrie » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:19 pm
The Adtran provides a single gig ethernet port, and an analog phone jack. You just connect to it and use DHCP on your WAN port.

I've had the service for about a month using a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter and Unifi AP, and get amazing throughput on both the wired and unwired side.

When I was installed, the installer said to just contact customer support and return the RG (he wouldn't take it with him) and they'd remove the charge from the bill. I just got my first bill, so just contacted support to do exactly this. Will let you know how this works out, since the RG is just sitting unused (never used) in my garage.
by danielg4 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:35 pm
pguthrie wrote:When I was installed, the installer said to just contact customer support and return the RG (he wouldn't take it with him) and they'd remove the charge from the bill. I just got my first bill, so just contacted support to do exactly this. Will let you know how this works out, since the RG is just sitting unused (never used) in my garage.
In my case, the installer took it with him just fine.
by joyjit » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:12 pm
pguthrie wrote:The Adtran provides a single gig ethernet port, and an analog phone jack. You just connect to it and use DHCP on your WAN port.
When I was installed, the installer said to just contact customer support and return the RG (he wouldn't take it with him) and they'd remove the charge from the bill. I just got my first bill, so just contacted support to do exactly this. Will let you know how this works out, since the RG is just sitting unused (never used) in my garage.
Hi there,

Is this for Sonic Fiber? or is this for their DSL service?

If for Fiber,
Can you share the specific brand and model number of the (modem) equipment you are using?
Also, how did you configure it to use with Sonic?

Thanks
by danielg4 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:11 pm
joyjit wrote:
pguthrie wrote:The Adtran provides a single gig ethernet port, and an analog phone jack. You just connect to it and use DHCP on your WAN port.
Hi there,

Is this for Sonic Fiber? or is this for their DSL service?

If for Fiber,
Can you share the specific brand and model number of the (modem) equipment you are using?
Also, how did you configure it to use with Sonic?

Thanks
There is no modem involved on fiber. What you quoted is all there is.
by pguthrie » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:46 pm
They did send me an RMA for the RG with a UPS label, and returned it no problem. Just got my bill today and the RG fees are gone.

I am using a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter POE and setup was a breeze... just DHCP on the WAN port. You could also use a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X (they'll do Gigabit too and are only about $50). This doesn't have Wifi of course, so I added a Ubiquiti AC AP HD.
36 posts Page 1 of 4