Sonic Fiber -- question about "RG Rental"

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
36 posts Page 4 of 4
by larns576 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:40 pm
To clear up the confusion:

ATT fiber, whether thru ATT direct or resold thru Sonic requires the RG.

Sonic's own fiber does not.
by jsbeddow » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:52 pm
Thanks, that is helpful, but where can we see a map of where Sonic has their own fiber?
by Larns576 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:29 pm
Sonic never released a map of fiber deployment because its proprietary info.

But here's an unofficial map that's over a year old. The newly installed neighborhoods are not shown due to lack of updates. It's also based off of permits pulled only so it's not 100% accurate but it does show what neighborhoods have it and the general idea from like 2 yrs ago. Not very useful at this time.
https://thatdan.github.io/sonic_fiber/

Best bet is to enter your address at the Sonic site and see if they have fiber at your address
https://www.sonic.com/availability
by jmperkins7734 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:08 pm
All one needs for Fiber Optic SONIC Accounts is a router that supports GIGABIT.

I purchased and replaced the SMART/RG with a PHICOMM K3C AC1900 MU-MIMO Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Routerand it works GREAT and one can get it for less than 30$.

I'm in the process of returning the SMART/RG Router to SONIC.

Cheers,
Joe
Berkeley, CA
by joshmo » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:11 pm
All one needs for Fiber Optic SONIC Accounts is a router that supports GIGABIT.

I purchased and replaced the SMART/RG with a PHICOMM K3C AC1900 MU-MIMO Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Routerand it works GREAT and one can get it for less than 30$.

I'm in the process of returning the SMART/RG Router to SONIC.

Cheers,
Joe
Berkeley, CA
by mfoy » Thu May 07, 2020 4:51 pm
For my setup, I have the Adtran ONT (Optical Network Terminal) box that was provided by Sonic during the install (since that take it from fiber to ethernet).
And then I declined taking the Sonic RG (Residential Gateway - I think was a Pace they offered).
And instead, I bought a Unifi Dream Machine (from Ubiquiti; which is an all-in-one device with access point, 4-port switch, and security gateway).
Which was super easy to install - ethernet cable between the Adtran and the Unifi Dream Machine.
And then easy setup of the Dream Machine (I did it using an iPhone). Nothing special needed, and simpler setup than a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter with an AP, etc.
I consider Unifi equipment to be commercial grade, but I found this Unifi Dream Machine is easily setup by consumers using the Unifi Network app (the Dream Machine has a Unifi Network Controller built in so you can monitory, control, and configure many aspects about your network - even when I am not at home - so it can be great if you setup networks for your family, but want to be able to maintain/troubleshoot it remotely).
Over wifi, I have been getting over 500Mbps both up and down.
And the Dream Machine has gigabit ethernet ports where I can connect directly if needed.
36 posts Page 4 of 4