Fiber on Stevenson St. alley near north Mission/Duboce? CO and Fiber just a stumble away

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
11 posts Page 1 of 2
by xagent003 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:25 pm
As you can see from the map, we are really, really close to the CO. We are also really, really close to the Fusion deployments in the mission. We are on Stevenson St. in between Duboce and McCoppin, the part where the freeway offramp goes over

I can confirm we have overhead utility lines on our street - see the photos:

https://imgur.com/a/6sRbS

Is Fusion posible on our block or not at all? Any ETA on when it'll be expanded here. We are in a 3 story, 6 unit building: addresses 1350, 1350A, 1352, 1352A, 1354, and 1354A Stevenson St, San Francisco, CA 94103
by xagent003 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:39 pm
bump? The fiber is so close (just block away) as is the CO... is Stevenson St. ever going to be eligible?
by parker_day » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:52 am
Hey neighbor. I don't know if Sonic will bother wiring up our street since there are only a handful of units. At my apartment we can get 100Mb/60Mb on DSL. It works for now but who knows about the future, and it's $10 more per month than Sonic's native fiber.
by xagent003 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:39 pm
Where do you live, on Stevenson on that stretch of the block too? And what do you mean by "it works for now but who knows in the future"... why would it not?

Either way, I thought there's quite a few units on our street. Ours has 6. Most of the buildings are 3 stories. There's the huge apt complex on one side of the block, and next to ours is the brownish one, which seems large. Across the st and next to the metal studio (which is also a unit where someone lives), seems to be a larger building. Every other building too on st seems to be a multi unit. At least, I'd wager that there are more total individual residences on our block than a typical block in the Sunset/Richmond or most other neighborhoods where there are only single family homes or those 1-2 story Victorian buildings.

I just would like to hear if or if not they are going to do Fiber. 100 Mbps is still much less than I get with Comcast. Was going to try to re-negotiate contract/special pricing with them, but figured if Fiber was going to come, would switch to SOnic.
by parker_day » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:56 am
I'm on the 1300 block of Stevenson too. The large apartment building on the west side of the street was wired up for Webpass last year, so I doubt Sonic would get many customers there, which just leaves the victorians. Combine that with the fact that our street is fed by underground lines up Mccoppin, it doesn't help our case. You can read elsewhere in the forum about the challenges with underground utilities in SF.

For me, 100/60Mbps on Sonic DSL works for now, but bandwidth requirements change over time. 5Mbps I had in the mid 2000s seemed fast enough for anything then, but now that wouldn't be fast enough.

Still, I also don't use Comcast out of principle. Maybe I'm paying a little more for Sonic than Comcast (maybe not), but I've not had a major issue in many years here and the price seems fair. Astound used to be an option on our block too, but I'm not sure if during the Wave takeover they stopped offering it here. Monkeybrains is an option if too if your building is tall enough. I've found Sonic to be the best option for me. We are lucky to have options that are not Comcast even if we likely won't get Sonic gigabit fiber anytime soon.
by xagent003 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:38 pm
We tried to get Monkeybrains back in early 2014, but they came and couldn't get LOS to their tower due to some tall buildings and the freeway overpass.

I used to have Sonic "out of principle" in 2014-2015 for about a year. But at the end of the day cable modem tech > DSL, so we switched to Comcast in 2015. Back then I could get 100 Mbps cable vs the 20 Mbps ADSL (we were getting around 17-18 Mbps). 100 Mbps is honestly nothing these days... Comcast is now offering 250 Mbps for $60/month for 24 months and 400 Mbps for $112/month with no term commitment.

I wish Sonic would just give a definitive answer, but i'll take the silence as a hard No
by steelgaze » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:00 pm
You should give monkey brains another call if you want to switch to something local.

They probably have rearranged there mesh since 2015 and might have LOS with your building now.
by xagent003 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:46 pm
What's the speed on Monkeybrains though? As I recall, it isn't that high and somewhere around 50 Mbps?. It was faster than Sonic's ADSL and on par with some cable offerings way back when, but now isnt even Sonic's Fusion X2 much faster?
by steelgaze » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:03 am
I took a look at google street view and you are basically in a sonic fiber dead zone.
Just because you have overhead utilities for this single block doesn't qualify you. Each end of the block is fed though underground utilities, which essentially makes Stevenson an undergrounded utilities block to sonic.

Money brains is going to be a good alternative to paying some national ISP like comast or AT&T. They will be slightly cheaper too with the quarterly play at something like 35 bucks a month. Speed isn't the only deciding factor. If you want the 'fastest', just go with comcast since they will probably advertise the highest speed for your locatin.
by parker_day » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:32 pm
One of the big reasons I stay with Sonic VDSL2 service on this block is that with x1 I get 30Mbps upload, and with x2 I get 60Mbps upload. It's so nice for backing things up and isn't something I'd want to give up.

As for Monkeybrains, they can do full gig links now for some customers. You can always email them and see what they say.
11 posts Page 1 of 2