Is there any update on overloaded utility poles?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by Maccy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:06 pm
My location out in the Sunset can't get fiber because the utility poles are too overloaded. From what I understand, PG&E needs to either replace them or shore them up. I was just wondering if there have been any updates on that or communications with PG&E. Does anyone know if PG&E has any timeframe (or intention) for doing the work?
by dane » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:30 pm
Maccy wrote:My location out in the Sunset can't get fiber because the utility poles are too overloaded. From what I understand, PG&E needs to either replace them or shore them up. I was just wondering if there have been any updates on that or communications with PG&E. Does anyone know if PG&E has any timeframe (or intention) for doing the work?
No, at this point we're not able to get that information from the pole owner.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by peterh » Mon May 07, 2018 7:00 pm
I was just told today I wouldn't be able to get fiber because of this overloaded pole problem. I'm wondering if you can give us any details about how you determined that my house is not accessible so that I can review the data and maybe we can get some political pressure on PG&E to work on this?
by dane » Tue May 08, 2018 8:46 am
peterh wrote:I was just told today I wouldn't be able to get fiber because of this overloaded pole problem. I'm wondering if you can give us any details about how you determined that my house is not accessible so that I can review the data and maybe we can get some political pressure on PG&E to work on this?
Pole owners (PG&E and/or AT&T) provide us information on pole status, and additionally we do site surveys of poles, and if testing has not been recently completed, we dispatch a company to test them. Many poles today are pending either reinforcement or replacement, but we do not have any visibility into when these activities might occur, nor are we notified if & when they are completed. So clearly, it's a bit challenging, and as a result we are left with gaps in our coverage. We are working with pole owners toward improving the processes.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
4 posts Page 1 of 1