Just moved in... No telephone jacks

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by emitchell » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:21 pm
Hi,

Just moved into a home with no telephone Jack's anywhere to be found. I have a telephone box on the outside of my house so I suppose att will be able to him up for dsl. So sounds like I need to run copper somewhere in the house, correct?

Seems odd!
by miken » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:07 am
Your landlord is responsible for providing at least one usable telephone jack.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by emitchell » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:11 pm
Hi Miken,

I am the landlord! Probably the one item I didn't check when we did the home inspection...guess I need to pull some cooper. Yay.
by danielg4 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:02 pm
You should inspect the telephone box for any copper exiting it. It's a bit hard to believe none ever did if it's been up there all this time.
by emitchell » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:18 pm
Thanks daniel,

The home just went through an extension remodel, including all new electrical. AT&T did go to the box today and I received confirmation that we have activation from Sonic, so there the phone box outside is all good - now i just need to get some copper wire somewhere into the house.
by derek » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:52 pm
I would be really surprised if they did an extensive remodel, including electrical, and did not run copper CAT5 all over.
by danielg4 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:41 pm
I would not be so surprised, because you don't get what you don't ask for, and people don't think to ask for that. I did ask for that, and the handyman/contractor's response to me was "Why don't you just use Wi-Fi?"

FWIW, bulk Cat5e is now a clearance-only item at Fry's, and nobody is buying. People buy Cat6/Cat6a or Cat7 instead now.
by parker_day » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:37 pm
I had an apartment in Santa Rosa where the landlord covered the phone jacks during a remodel since they mistakenly thought no one needed phone jacks anymore. I actually just had AT&T come and install a test jack at the MPOE (since it was indoor for that specific apartment) and just ran my Sonic service from that. So removing phone jacks definitely does happen, although there is a requirement for apartments to have a working phone jack.
8 posts Page 1 of 1