Fusion X2 upgrade

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
1 post Page 1 of 1
by mwedel » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:34 pm
Thought I'd post this, just because some of the information may be useful. Process was quite easy.
I updated from the fusion X1 to X2 service. Modem was sent out.

I started to configure the modem before the second physical line was connected. I initially had some issues configuring it, as I'm on a static connection and was mistyping the IP address of the gateway address, and the modem would say there was an error but not say that is what the error was. When I tried again the next day, I noticed my typo (173.228.x.1 vs 178.228.x.1) and got that configured.

AT&T came out and connected up the second line in the morning. A second AT&T person came out that same afternoon - I told him it was already set up - apparently, a double call was made to AT&T, but no issue there.

With the new modem, I was able to get sync on one line or the other. The plus side on this is that I could see each line syncing at ~10 mbs. After a call to sonic, they made the config change on their end to bond the lines.

However, now line 1 was syncing at 10 mb, but line 2 was syncing at ~5 mb. I elected to do my own install (saving the $100, plus I've run enough extra data wiring in the house I'd probably hopelessly confuse anyone else). So next day, having a box of cat 6 cabling around, ran a temporary cable from the POE to the modem. With that, I got 10 mb on each line. Perhaps not that surprising that the 50 year old phone wiring (which was done after the house was built) was not that great. A day later, I crawled under the house to do a more permanent run. With that, still able to get the 10 mb/line.

At some point in all that process, I used a generic (cheap) phone cord from the wall socket to the modem. Again, a drop to 5 Mb on line 2. Since I had the connectors and a crimp tool, I just ended up making an rj11 - rj11 cable with cat6 cabling.

So I am now up at 10 mb/line (about 20 mb total). Worth noting that my X1 line was only running at ~9 mb. I don't know if I'm getting that extra 1 mb due to a better modem or better inside wiring, since externally, it should all be the same.

The other thing worth stating here is that even very short runs of sub par wiring can have a dramatic effect on performance. a 6' cheap phone cord can have detrimental effects. I might not have even done all this troubleshooting if I hadn't seen each line getting 10 mb before them being bonded. If you have X2 service and the line speeds on each line are dramatically different, this could be caused by a poor cable somewhere.

Presuming you have a modern POE box, I suppose the easiest way to test this is unplug one of the test connections, then reset the modem. This should bring you down to 1 line. Then do the same thing with the other connection. Check the modem speed after each one.

All in all, very happy. The X2 upgrade has more than doubled my speed.
1 post Page 1 of 1