Dane - for real, what's the deal with Sonic fiber in Berkeley, Albany, El Cerrito?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
205 posts Page 1 of 21
by MouseRat » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:04 pm
Sonic is dropping hang-tags that say that Sonic fiber is coming by February 2018 at homes in Berkeley, Albany, El Cerrito. At least one of those home has AT&T fiber on the pole out front, part of the big and fast fiber deployment that AT&T has been doing in this area for the past year or so.

I'd love to believe that Sonic is going to run its own fiber even in places where AT&T has run fiber. Is that what Sonic is promising to do by February? Or is the product that you're advertising going to be a resold AT&T fiber service? Or a Sonic service provided over fiber strands leased in their entirety from AT&T? If using AT&T fiber in some manner, will there be data caps? Will usage be subject to Sonic's privacy policy, or AT&T's "privacy" policy? AT&T's ONT and wifi router, or Sonic's?

Dane, AT&T knows the answer to all of these questions (at least with respect to any service that Sonic is launching in February 2018). Either Sonic is coordinating with AT&T on pole access for your own fiber, or you're negotiating with them on use their fiber. The only people who don't know are your current and prospective customers, the ones that you hope will purchase this service. So what is the service that you'll be selling?
by dane » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:21 pm
Sonic's gigabit fiber service uses our own fiber optic infrastructure and network equipment.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by MouseRat » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:55 pm
dane wrote:Sonic's gigabit fiber service uses our own fiber optic infrastructure and network equipment.
:D
by loft305 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:12 pm
There's an article on Hoodline saying "parts of Oakland" ... http://hoodline.com/2017/12/sonic-annou ... -expansion

Any clues on what parts of Oakland that might be? I tried the availability search and fiber does not show up as an option. You are competing against Paxio and Webpass for my building of 26 units in the Jack London Square area. I was expecting it to include us since we are adjacent to at least 3 fiber trunks, but if it is all your own fiber maybe you don't care.

Also, if you bring fiber to the MPOE of a condo what's your requirement for internal wiring? Currently, we only have 6 pairs of Cat2 to each unit (probably just about 300' max run per unit) or cable TV coax (which we own). Would you consider a DSLAM or coax equivalent to support existing wiring if satisfactory for desired bandwidth or require Cat6a upgrade?
by ptufts » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:07 pm
dane wrote:Sonic's gigabit fiber service uses our own fiber optic infrastructure and network equipment.
Woot!

The prospect of my data going on AT+T’s infrastructure instead of Sonic’s is what kept me on Fusion DSL instead of upgrading sooner.

Sonic-run fiber sounds awesome.
by toddrising2017 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:44 pm
Is there an updated map as to these newer parts of the East Bay that Sonic will begin to serve in 2018 and/or in the near future? We are just north of Kensington in El Cerrito hills (off Arlington) and we know, after doing some reconnaissance on NextDoor app, that just about everyone is interested in changing from our only option, Comcast, to Sonic ASAP.

Dane, you are our only hope!
by dane » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:47 am
toddrising2017 wrote:Is there an updated map as to these newer parts of the East Bay that Sonic will begin to serve in 2018 and/or in the near future? We are just north of Kensington in El Cerrito hills (off Arlington) and we know, after doing some reconnaissance on NextDoor app, that just about everyone is interested in changing from our only option, Comcast, to Sonic ASAP.

Dane, you are our only hope!
You can check your address now, at http://sonic.com/availability - please let the folks on Nextdoor know!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by toddrising94530 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:51 pm
dane wrote: You can check your address now, at http://sonic.com/availability - please let the folks on Nextdoor know!
Done! Posted far and wide on NextDoor app.

Hoping someday you guys make it to our neighborhood (Near Moeser and Arlington in El Cerrito — and beyond!)!
by PR_Avenger » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:25 am
POINT RICHMOND!
You could build out the entire area while Berkeley and Albany are trying to decide what permits you forgot to apply for and if they need to be in duplicate or triplicate.
by ankh » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:29 pm
Got 2 Sonic Fiber postcards addressed to "Resident" in our mailbox today
-- one addressed 51763/36 1 ******** AUTO** SCH 5-digit 94706
-- the other to 51759/36 1 ******** AUTO**SCH 5-digit 94706
-- otherwise identical but for the city name, one has "Albany" and the other "Berkeley"

(The Albany 94706 post office delivers to parts of El Cerrito, Berkeley, and Kensington for, I think, blocks where the city limit splits the block.)

I hope your advertising vendor isn't charging you twice to reach each such address with 2 copies.
Or maybe that's the economic way to do it.

They could, of course, have cross-indexed those of us who are already Sonic customers and aren't meant to get the special offer one month free advertising. But computer searches are so tedious.
205 posts Page 1 of 21