Dane - for real, what's the deal with Sonic fiber in Berkeley, Albany, El Cerrito?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
205 posts Page 5 of 21
by acohen36@sonic.net » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:28 pm
This forum thread came up when I was googling for fiber in Berkeley. It looks like Martin Luther King is excluded from the fiber expansion? Seems like all the surrounding streets and cross streets are getting service in the spring. Any idea if service on MLK itself will ever be added?
Can we perhaps speculate that ISP competitor LMi.net https://www.lmi.net/ at 1700 Martin Luther King in North Berkeley is doing its own fiber expansion along MLK as well as on surrounding streets and cross streets??
by bryanhaggerty » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:18 pm
Sonic is saying that they'll be available in my area in April. Has the fiber already been strung on the poles in areas and in April they'll just be wiring to homes? I've noticed Paxio labelled wires on the poles in my neighborhood.
by ankh » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:29 am
The "Check Availability" button seems to do nothing in Firefox (58.0.2, Mac, and the "block popup windows" preference is not selected).

"Check Availability" does work in Chrome. Though it doesn't recognize that I'm already a customer -- it'd be convenient if it would recognize a customer and give pertinent information about the changeover, but I know, that'd be a "simple matter of programming" ...
by miken » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:59 am
bryanhaggerty wrote:Sonic is saying that they'll be available in my area in April. Has the fiber already been strung on the poles in areas and in April they'll just be wiring to homes? I've noticed Paxio labelled wires on the poles in my neighborhood.
This means that the infrastructure should be finished by April and that we can then begin wiring to homes. From there installation will vary depending on workload, but most Fiber installations take a few days (sometimes even same day!) This may take a little bit longer for multi-dwelling units where we need to co-ordinate with the landlord for installation.
ankh wrote:"Check Availability" does work in Chrome. Though it doesn't recognize that I'm already a customer -- it'd be convenient if it would recognize a customer and give pertinent information about the changeover, but I know, that'd be a "simple matter of programming" ...
If the sign-up tool recognized your address as an existing customer and provided information about upgrading - people could potentially gather information just from running a search on your address. For existing users we recommend going to Membertools for upgrades: https://members.sonic.net/connections/serviceupdate/
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by ankh » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:15 am
people could potentially gather information
But Sonic can know the query is coming from my home, right?
So you can avoid giving out information to third parties.
by ankh » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:21 am
Checking member tools service upgrade link
https://members.sonic.net/connections/s ... e/#/change

Sonic Gigabit Fiber internet + phone will available at your address Apr 2018.

What does this mean?

Can't wait for Gigabit and need upgraded service now? Choose from the available services below.

Select the service you'd like to change to:
Fusion X1

But, wait, I have Fusion X2 now. X1 would be a downgrade -- and the page gives a "Downgrade" button. Chuckle. Hello, Marketing? Missing the point here.

Okay, no worries. I'm just trying to stay current so I can keep telling my neighbors what's available.
by witort » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:40 pm
Fiber availability at my Berkeley address just got bumped from April to June... Noooooo! Anybody else get bumped as well?
by ankh » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:52 am
Ack#thpftt!

Yep, it's not going to be April for us either.
Service is scheduled to be available Jun 2018. Pre-order today to be first in line!
Congratulations! We've waived your contract.
What's this "first in line!" nonsense?
by bobfff » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:42 am
I was just bumped from April to May. This is particularly irritating since I've seen Sonic installers running fiber on Peralta Ave. north of Gilman Street and in the surrounding streets also north of Gilman. Since I live just on the other side of Gilman (going south) I assumed the trucks would continue on Peralta towards Hopkins but they have not. Ironically, I just convinced a neighbor to sign up with the expectation that he would also have fiber service shortly.

I am increasingly puzzled by Sonic's (partial) rollout.

Bob
by cycloscott » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:33 pm
bobfff wrote:I was just bumped from April to May.
At least you'll have availability. The fiber rollout is going past me on two sides. I can see both sets of poles that they'll be working on, but neither is servicing my street. Santa Fe and Camelia, and I live a couple of houses away from each on Cornell.
205 posts Page 5 of 21