Dane - for real, what's the deal with Sonic fiber in Berkeley, Albany, El Cerrito?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
205 posts Page 16 of 21
by markjfs » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:22 pm
Been seeing lots of Sonic truck activity in my neighborhood the last couple weeks. North Berkeley near Colusa and Marin.

Just got the email and scheduled my install for a week from Saturday.

Can't wait.
by alxyang24 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:38 pm
markjfs wrote:Been seeing lots of Sonic truck activity in my neighborhood the last couple weeks. North Berkeley near Colusa and Marin.

Just got the email and scheduled my install for a week from Saturday.

Can't wait.
Just curious

What is the verbiage of the email when its ready to be scheduled? I'm still at the:

YOU'RE CLOSE TO BEING CONNECTED!
Our engineering team is working to complete your area's Gigabit Fiber network construction this month (woohoo!). Once completed, we'll contact you with next steps, which includes scheduling your installation.

I'm near fat apples west of MLK and it says August still (fingers crossed)
by bryanhaggerty » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:06 am
I'm near that area as well. Noticed today that the fiber has been strung along our street now. Must have happened either yesterday or day before. Also received that email as well. So does seem more promising given that the wires are actually on the poles now.
by cmeisel » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:19 pm
I got this email as well in July (below) but no wires were hung and 2 weeks later I got a mail that the install was now September instead of August. But we are much further up in the hills (above chez panisse basically) so September is still better than never. I assume this is challenging. I am curious to hear from people that get installs as Sonic makes their way up towards the hills. I still can't figure out how they will move up, via Cedar or Marin (seems to be on both).

YOU'RE CLOSE TO BEING CONNECTED!
Our engineering team is working to complete your area's Gigabit Fiber network construction this month (woohoo!). Once completed, we'll contact you with next steps, which includes scheduling your installation.
by ankh » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:08 am
I hope this is good news:

hat tip to Soylent News

+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| FCC Gives Google Fiber and New ISPs Faster Access to Utility Poles
| from the invest-in-cable-ties dept.
| posted by chromas on Friday August 03, @21:21 (News)
| https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=18/08/03/1056221
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Arthur T Knackerbracket has found the [0]following story:

The Federal Communications Commission today [1]approved new rules that could let Google Fiber and other new Internet service providers gain faster access to utility poles.

The FCC's One Touch Make Ready (OTMR) [2]rules will let companies attach wires to utility poles without waiting for the other users of the pole to move their own wires. Google Fiber [3]says its deployment has stalled in multiple cities because Comcast and AT&T take a long time to get poles ready for new attachers. One Touch Make Ready rules let new attachers make all of the necessary wire adjustments themselves.

Comcast [4]urged the FCC to "reject 'one-touch make-ready' proposals, which inure solely to the benefit of new entrants while unnecessarily risking harm to existing attachers and their customers."

FCC Chairman Ajit Pai rejected this argument, saying that startups are unnecessarily delayed when they have to wait for incumbent ISPs before hanging wires.

Discuss this story at: https://soylentnews.org/comments.pl?sid ... 03/1056221

Links:
0. https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... ity-poles/
1. https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments ... 3230A1.pdf
2. https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments ... 2544A1.pdf
3. https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... nashville/
4. https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/1071723375 ... 0FINAL.pdf

by dane » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:12 am
No, unfortunately the new Federal standards only apply in 30 states. California and 19 others elected to engage in reverse preemption. The access to poles here is governed by the CPUC's 1998 Right of Way (RoW) decision. Under that framework we've had better conditions than the Federal standards, and we do have an effective one-touch make-ready process today. But there are a number of improvements where the new Federal standards have overtaken California's regulatory framework, and we'll be working on our advocacy with the CPUC to encourage updates to the RoW standards here as a result.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dane » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:28 am
An update for those still waiting in Berkeley:

We've made a lot of progress on cable placement and splicing, and most of the fiber distribution areas (FDAs) that are served out of the Albany central office are now online. The remaining ones will complete in the next few weeks. (And no, the serving CO boundaries are not the same as the City boundaries, so no good way to really define.)

For Berkeley CO served FDAs, we are awaiting a permit for underground construction adjacent to the CO in order to bring the primary backbone cables into that POP. The street there is unfortunately a "moratorium street", as it was paved in the last few years and the City will not allow construction without special permitting and a paving plan. I believe we've got all of that material to them now, as well as a rather significant traffic management plan, as the construction will be done in the daytime and a detour will be required. Berkeley is now reviewing the permit application, and I've been told that we expect issuance in mid-September.

This will unfortunately add more delay for FDAs served out of the Berkeley CO. But, we are working today on all of the other outside plant components, the cable placement, splitter cabinet termination, splicing, etc - so when the CO entry construction permit is issued, we'll be able to bring live a lot of FDAs quite quickly. Of course, this may create a bottleneck on installation capacity, that cannot be completed all at once of course.

We kicked off this CO entry process more than a year ago. We were building into the CO via another route, and had placed rope in a conduit, but then once the path was approved and prior to cable placement the clay pipe collapsed, becoming unusable. The alternate route brought the local City permitting and paving issues. It is amazing how long construction can take sometimes. Sorry for the delays, but we are making solid progress.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ankh » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:46 am
Thank you, it's really helpful to know a bit of the nasty detail.
the clay pipe collapsed
There's been a lot of that happening around here with water distribution and sewer laterals, as we're just blocks from the Hayward fault. And much more of those clay pipe failures expected when it shakes. The upgrade sewer pipes are plastic and get pulled through the old clay pipes expanding and breaking the clay.

Alas Berkeley permits are very slow.
by amsluis » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:54 pm
Is there a way to determine which CO you're served by?

Thanks for the updates!
by dane » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:57 pm
amsluis wrote:Is there a way to determine which CO you're served by?

Thanks for the updates!
No, I'm afraid not.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
205 posts Page 16 of 21