Dane - for real, what's the deal with Sonic fiber in Berkeley, Albany, El Cerrito?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
205 posts Page 12 of 21
by aanon4 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:39 pm
I notice a 19" rack has appeared on a utility pole near Walnut And Eunice in Berkeley (I swear it wasn't there yesterday). I'm hoping it belongs to Sonic because I live round the corner.
by aanon4 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:59 pm
Well it appears to be a Clearfield cabinet rather like the one described by Dane here (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3389) so I'm going to feel quietly optimistic about this.
by ankh » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:21 am
Okay, 1500 block of Beverly Place -- two unidentified cable vehicles just rolled by. One with a scissor-tower-ladder-bucket thing, guy standing in the bucket up at a height, hand-steering a cable being unwound and dragged along a wire. The other just a pickup truck with a yellow flasher on the roof.

Who is it??
by ankh » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:16 pm
The truck logo is "City Rise"
The guy just fell or jumped out of his bucked into a street tree, to drag the cable spinner device through the branches (an egg-shaped thing that wraps the optical fiber strand around the supporting steel wire strand).

Ok, they moved the bucket tower to the far side of the tree and the guy's climbed back into it, and moved the connection on past the pole closest to our house from which our copper phone line drop comes.

So we apparently have almost got access to fiber service from, er, somebody. But who?
by ankh » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:22 pm
Hm. I still have to go to the "downgrade service" option page in order to check availability -- nothing happens when I use sonic.com/access and click the "check" button.

But on the service page I continue to see

Lucky you!

Sonic Gigabit Fiber internet + phone will available at your address Jun 2018.

What does this mean?
So, what does this mean? It's past noon on June 28th, Thursday.
"thirty days hath ... June ..."
Do installers work on Saturday?
by alxyang24 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:17 pm
I live near Vine and Josephine St in Berkeley and clearfield cabinet also appeared in the last few weeks, it does not appear to be filled yet.

Today there were some trucks with Quanta Services installing what looked to be fiber on a pole 2 away from the clearfield cabinet, but couldn't get a good look, will check again later. I believe Sonic probably would have their own trucks/installers, but I'm wondering if they subcontract out to "Quanta Services" as it looks like they do similar Fiber to home services.

http://www.quantaservices.com/services/ ... nications/

Super excited to get Fiber no matter what, It seems it won't be until next month (also June 2018 install date), but I'm glad to see progress! Everything takes longer than expected, so I'll be patient!
by ankh » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:44 pm
Everything takes longer than expected, so I'll be patient!
Yep. Me too. Just asking. I assume someone at Sonic is moving the pushpins around the street map, or doing the digital equivalent thereof, and knows what's happening.
by aanon4 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:11 pm
Well Quanta do appear to be a subcontractor for Sonic - if you rummage around the Berkeley permit website you can find permits with both Quanta and Sonic on them.
by ankh » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:15 pm
Neighbor at the other end of our block says she got email -- today, I think -- saying the June Sonic fiber service date won't happen. I don't know exactly what it said, just that it will happen later. She's eagerly waiting to dump Comcast.

My address still gets the promise of service in June when I check availability. I still have to use the "Upgrade or downgrade service" path to get the availability information.

Haven't noticed any installers fighting over who gets to use the pole, but migawd, there sure are a hell of a lot of wires and bundles of wires on the poles hereabouts. Looks like a third world country or the early wiring days in New York when the competitors really did fight over pole access.
by Deacon Crusher » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:08 pm
I live in north Berkeley near intersection of Colusa and Marin and on Friday June 29th also got the "Sorry, your install isn't happening in June and we aren't sure when it will" email. This despite getting a very exciting email on June 5 saying we are working on the wiring in your area stay tuned for more.

If I check the website availability tracker it still thinks my address is happening in June. Sad face.

Working on my patience, but I also can't wait to dump comcast. As soon as my sonic is live I'm signing up for youtubeTV as well and dropping comcast completely.

Can't wait.

Go Sonic.
205 posts Page 12 of 21