Dane - for real, what's the deal with Sonic fiber in Berkeley, Albany, El Cerrito?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
205 posts Page 20 of 21
by ankh » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:20 pm
PS, my neighbor asked the Sonic installer what service will cost; they said $40, she said no way, what's the real number with taxes; they told her $49 including everything. Izzat right?

They said it will be kind of slow since she has an old Dell and doesn't want to buy a new computer.
And she said it was kind of slow while they tried to hook up her cell phone, but she told them leave the phone on Verizon and that sped things up.

I'm a bit puzzled; she's older and not highly techie so some of this could be wrong.

I'd suggest having the installers write up what they did and what to expect and leave a printout with the customer, to make it easier to understand the changeover.

EDIT: the installers did leave a package of paperwork that appears to explain everything -- at least I could follow it. One question, there's a "Sonic account" designated that seems to be a random letter and numbers. Is that an email "at sonic.net"?
by Mparks » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:53 am
Tell us who is delaying the permits so we can contact them to complain. Also, how close are you to installing the fiber at the corner of Spruce and Montrose? I haven’t seen any trucks in my street.
by aanon4 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:56 am
Do the fiber deploys follow the AT&T landline boundaries? I ask because, years ago, when I moved from one side of Eunice to the other, I magically entered Albany's exchange influence and left Berkeley's. I notice Sonic's fiber also isn't crossing that boundary, so it got me wondering.
by Linberl1 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:10 pm
Hi,

Just checking again to see if there's any update on the 900 blocks off Marin Ave. in Albany. Any progress with the City? We have good poles on our street (Evelyn Avenue) if that helps. Is there anyone we can contact at the City to help with the situation? Sigh....
by aanon4 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:34 pm
dane wrote:My goal is to write up some details and get those out to affected customers shortly!
Any news on this?
by aanon4 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:48 am
I see they’re doing the utility box wiring at Virginia and Oxford this morning. (Walks a little further) And must have done the box on Eunice and Walnut earlier this week as that's all wired up now.
by ankh » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:50 pm
When the fiber comes, what happens at the house?

Right now I have a splitter connected to the phone copper terminals in the crawlspace.
I assume that goes away.

It's connected by a short cable to the Pace modem on the floor above
Does the Pace stay?

Does the optic fiber come in where the phone drop did, hole in the crawlspace wall, then get routed up through the hole in the floor to the place the router sits now?
by aanon4 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:14 pm
Oh look - fiber is coming down my street today (Oxford).
by oxfordhouse » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:29 pm
aanon4 wrote:Oh look - fiber is coming down my street today (Oxford).
You must live very close to me. I saw the box being wired on Virginia this morning too. Fiber already passed by Oxford near virginia, so they must be wiring elsewhere up/down the street.
by aanon4 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:28 pm
oxfordhouse wrote:
aanon4 wrote:Oh look - fiber is coming down my street today (Oxford).
You must live very close to me. I saw the box being wired on Virginia this morning too. Fiber already passed by Oxford near virginia, so they must be wiring elsewhere up/down the street.
The Oxford fiber had made it to Eunice, then turned left. The new stuff appears to be from Marin down Oxford before turning up Rose. Doesn't appear to go to the utility box on Eunice, at least not yesterday although the team had left a metric-tonne of cable up a tree last night so maybe they're pulling it someone new today.
205 posts Page 20 of 21