Dane - for real, what's the deal with Sonic fiber in Berkeley, Albany, El Cerrito?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
205 posts Page 10 of 21
by hyee » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:55 am
dane wrote:
hyee wrote: Is this only in Albany? On the Berkeley side of Marin the cities public works site doesn't show approved permits for Marin yet either. I'm wondering if this will cause additional delay as a few of Sonics permits submitted later have already been approved.
The roads to the South of Marin Ave are fed from the South side, so I think we're fine there.
Thanks Dane. I'm on the North side of Marin Ave between Solano and Marin but in Berkeley not Albany.
by hyee » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:13 am
dane wrote:
hyee wrote: Is this only in Albany? On the Berkeley side of Marin the cities public works site doesn't show approved permits for Marin yet either. I'm wondering if this will cause additional delay as a few of Sonics permits submitted later have already been approved.
The roads to the South of Marin Ave are fed from the South side, so I think we're fine there.
I'm on the North side of Marin Ave between Solano Ave. This part of Marin Ave is in Berkeley.
by jessieandrob » Tue May 01, 2018 5:12 pm
So I've noticed that AT&T has their fiber offering available at our address in El Cerrito. Does this mean that Sonic is excluded from being able to serve our address?
by digitalbitstream » Wed May 02, 2018 3:29 pm
dane wrote:
Linberl1 wrote:Wow, that really sucks. I've been a Sonic user for a super long time, too. How does the 1000 block which is just the other side of Marin manage to get it when the 900 block on the opposite side of Marin does not? I'm assuming the 1000 block has to connect to the poles on Marin as well. :-(
From my look at the GIS system, those are served from the South, so they're reachable.

I'm inquiring with the team here to see if we can find a good contact with the City, to see if there are any dig once policy opportunities that might allow for conduit to be included in the project. They're doing some pretty extensive work, with sidewalks, curbs, signage, etc, so it's a substantial City project.
From Albany: ​Christopher Ablaza, EIT, in Albany Public Works is implementing things. Vice Mayor Rochelle Nason is interested in understanding why Council's directive to install spare conduit in the project was later changed. There's no spare conduit in the project: space was made only by ATT Comcast and PGE.
by linberl1 » Fri May 11, 2018 10:24 am
They are going to be digging up the 900 block of Evelyn (EBMUD; water company). I do not know if there is any way
Sonic can benefit from the street being opened up for that. Please keep trying to get the City of Albany to allow fiber on
our block. There are a LOT of sonic families in the 900 blocks in Albany!
by ankh » Sun May 13, 2018 9:25 pm
Saw a Sonic truck parked at Beverly Place and Ventura today. I went over and talked to a guy nearby, but he wasn't the Sonic employee -- just another Sonic customer like me wondering what's happening.

Ya know, Dane, you could foster get-together parties where there are enough of us subscribers -- maybe create publicly findable interest groups in the Nextdoor system, or something like that?

Or find some way to let everyone in a local area share their security camera feeds, for those evenings when somebody's going house to house and car to car looking for unlocked doors, which happens.
by ngufra » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:05 am
2 guys and a truck at the corner of Marin and Ventura.
Seems like they were populating cards with fiber.

Website claims May 2018 (today is June 1st)
I was told there is still about one more month until fiber is connected, the time for sonic to lay fiber from pole to the houses, then come do install.
by ankh » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:09 am
Heating up in the neighborhood.

Got a front-doorknob hanger from LMI.NET yesterday

"Fiber optic high speed Internet is now available in your neighborhood"

(I will scan it and email a copy to Dane)

Not clear what "now" or "neighborhood" means -- it doesn't say "now available at your address" which is the critical question. Along with "whose fiber are they using" of course.

'scuse me, gotta go retry that Sonic "Availability" button ...
Nope, not working with either Firefox or Safari, with all the anti-malware settings turned off.
Broken ...
by igorru » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:36 am
Hi Ankh,

I'm not sure what the LMI.NET tag would mean by "Fiber optic high speed Internet is now available in your neighborhood," but they resell Sonic fiber.

For upgrade availability try checking the service upgrade option in member tools: https://members.sonic.net/connections/serviceupdate/

Igor
by ankh » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:35 pm
Thanks igorru. So LMI is just getting out ahead of Sonic in advertising the coming availability.
Too bad they don't tell people that they're reselling Sonic's service and won't be available any sooner than Sonic is. The neighbors are twitchily awaiting actual connections, I hear.

Yep, that "upgrade or downgrade" link does successfully check availability.
Lucky you!

Sonic Gigabit Fiber internet + phone will available at your address Jun 2018.
The regular "Check Availability" page is still not working for me with all the anti-malware stuff turned off. I emailed Support to report it as a problem.
205 posts Page 10 of 21