Dane - for real, what's the deal with Sonic fiber in Berkeley, Albany, El Cerrito?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
205 posts Page 9 of 21
by dane » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:00 pm
cycloscott wrote:
dane wrote:From my look at the GIS system...
Dane can you please take a look at the GIS system for the 1400 block of Cornell Ave in Berkeley? The 1300 block is scheduled for May after crossing Gilman. The 1500 block about a month later after continuing the run from the 1400 block of Santa Fe. I'm stuck in the middle with either DSL or joining the darkside of cable.
It looks like that missed block is an oversight, and our engineering team is working now to get it included in the build.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by cycloscott » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:49 pm
dane wrote:It looks like that missed block is an oversight, and our engineering team is working now to get it included in the build.
That's awesome Dane. Thanks so much for taking a look.
by jessieandrob » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:18 am
hi Dane,

any chance of finding out if Sonic fiber will come to the area near Richmond St. and Manila St., near the El Cerrito City Hall?

am a current Fusion subscriber, but would love to switch to fiber. was wondering if there's something specific to that area preventing a fiber rollout.
by Jccr510 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:40 pm
Does anyone know when Sonic is gonna make it to Bancroft and Ninth st here in Berkeley? I was supposed to get it last December but now they switched the arrival time frame to December of this year.
by lasevich » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:48 am
Is there some trick to using availability tool? I am in Oakland, but I get no information about fiber at all, just "yes, you can get Fusion", which is not as useful as you would think, given I already have Fusion service... Any way to tell if our neighborhood(Temescal) is even being considered?

Thanks.
by m.harmon » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:53 am
@lasevich

We have lots of areas in consideration, but we don't announce specifics until we're pretty far into the engineering and construction of the networks. This is both for competitive reasons, but also because conditions in the field can influence which streets we can get down, so we'd like to avoid over-promising and then retracting whenever possible.
M. Harmon
Sonic Customer Support
by lasevich » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:34 pm
m.harmon wrote: We have lots of areas in consideration, but we don't announce specifics until we're pretty far into the engineering and construction of the networks. This is both for competitive reasons, but also because conditions in the field can influence which streets we can get down, so we'd like to avoid over-promising and then retracting whenever possible.
That is understandable, though leads to some confusion, esp given how many people were posting that they saw block by block information, even if their own blocks were being excluded - while I saw no indication that I was even using the right tool (result made no mention of fiber at all). I am going to make a leap to say that if you are in the neighborhood, it would show more info than what I am currently getting, and thus lack of data means you are nowhere near us (at least in the officially announced capacity).

+1 vote for wiring up Temescal as soon as possible (can't wait)

Thanks,

-M
by cycloscott » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:07 pm
lasevich wrote:
m.harmon wrote: ...people were posting that they saw block by block information, even if their own blocks were being excluded - while I saw no indication that I was even using the right tool (result made no mention of fiber at all)....
Use the availability checker with addresses on surrounding blocks, and you'll be able to create a pseudo-map of where and when the fiber service is rolling out.
by hyee » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:24 am
dane wrote:
sanger wrote:I am seeing fiber availability in the 800 and the 1000 block of Evelyn and on the 900 block of Talbot but not the 900 block of Evelyn. Even the next door neighbor in my back yard shows fiber availability.

What gives? I've been a customer for 14 years and waiting a long time.
Word from engineering team is that we have been denied in our application to attach to the existing poles on Marin Ave, and Buchanan to the West, as PG&E is currently in the process of undergrounding the utilities on that street. As a result, it is not possible to reach the overhead pole lines between Marin Ave and Solano Ave, with the exception of Talbot, Madison, and Adams, which each have a lead which crosses Solano.

We will continue to engage in advocacy on the issue of utility undergrounding in hopes that telecommunications can be included in those efforts in the future.
Is this only in Albany? On the Berkeley side of Marin the cities public works site doesn't show approved permits for Marin yet either. I'm wondering if this will cause additional delay as a few of Sonics permits submitted later have already been approved.
by dane » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:14 pm
hyee wrote: Is this only in Albany? On the Berkeley side of Marin the cities public works site doesn't show approved permits for Marin yet either. I'm wondering if this will cause additional delay as a few of Sonics permits submitted later have already been approved.
The roads to the South of Marin Ave are fed from the South side, so I think we're fine there.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
205 posts Page 9 of 21