Dane - for real, what's the deal with Sonic fiber in Berkeley, Albany, El Cerrito?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
205 posts Page 13 of 21
by alxyang24 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:11 pm
I can confirm I got that email, here it is below. I too am wanting to get off comcast asap. For me it looks like they are getting close since that Quanta does appear to be a subcontractor and they left a coil of fiber on a pole near the clearfield box. I know these things take time and it would be nice to see a semi updated "rollout" map, but I can be patient!

Due to unforeseen circumstances, we are adjusting your expected Fiber connection timeline.

We understand how excited you are for your fiber service, and that pushing your expected connection timeline may be frustrating. We sincerely apologize!

We're building Gigabit Fiber to as many cities as possible, as quickly as we can. And each city is a little different, which requires a new deployment strategy. Periodically, our team has to adjust construction timelines due to a variety of reasons, including unforeseen weather conditions, city permitting processes, and construction challenges. In your circumstance, we ran into construction challenges, which affects our network buildout timeline and expected delivery date.

We still very much intend to deliver Gigabit Fiber Internet to your location; it's just taking a bit longer than expected. We are working constantly to improve our Fiber construction process, and to ensure that our estimated dates remain as accurate as possible.

Thank you for your patience and support! We'll be in touch soon with an updated expected delivery timeline.

If you have any questions, please text us at 707-800-4624 or email support@sonic.com.
by aanon4 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:23 pm
I like how the availability tool still says "June" for my friend's address. Gives one faith in it :-)
by ankh » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:13 am
That's probably because all the tech support staff are out climbing poles, not warming chairs ...
by alxyang24 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:18 pm
Happened across this video from the Gigabit page which shows those clear field cabinets at 44 seconds in (video is linked to that time), cool video as it shows how much different it is from coax.

https://youtu.be/-JMcOAJHZok?t=44
by dane » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:54 pm
Exciting times, isn't it? Please tell a neighbor!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by aanon4 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:21 pm
In today's episode of Sonic in my neighborhood - bumped into a Sonic chap in his truck outside my house this morning. He was starting at a utility pole. I suspect Comcast engineers don't get random people enthusiastically welcoming them to the neighborhood. Meanwhile down the block a few trucks from Solcom (a telecom subcontractor?) were busy working on various utility poles leading down to the nearby FieldSmart cabinet. This seems encouraging.
by aanon4 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:27 pm
Hmm ... Solcom are working for Paxio maybe?
by alxyang24 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:43 pm
dane wrote:Exciting times, isn't it? Please tell a neighbor!
Dane,

Already did! I believe he's signed up as we were talking about it today. Unfortunately, its because our install date got pushed back to August, but I'm a patient person and I'm just happy that we have to opportunity to get Fiber! I work for government so I know how slow things can go sometimes...

I'm also very impressed to see you maintaining a presence in the forums, rare thing these days...
by dane » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:10 pm
Thanks. Sorry for the delay, construction is a process with a large number of variables. But we are making good progress now on our march across the Bay, and beyond!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ankh » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:56 pm
I saw a Sonic truck on our block this morning and talked with the driver.

He confirmed we do have the fiber on our poles in this block, what I saw a few days ago being hung between the poles.

He said there's some box up stream of here that subdivides the main light source into separate fibers, that won't be installed for a couple of weeks, and after that it will take a week or more to connect things. Then the people connecting the poles to the houses will take another week or so -- and they may or may not need to contact us to do that.

(We have just a hole in the stucco through which the copper drops are routed, all the components connecting things are inside the crawlspace, so I'm guessing they'll want access and hope they ask so we can be home)
205 posts Page 13 of 21