Dane - for real, what's the deal with Sonic fiber in Berkeley, Albany, El Cerrito?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
205 posts Page 6 of 21
by dane » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:44 am
Sonic fiber construction in Albany: https://imgur.com/gallery/m1EkR
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ankh » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:54 pm
May I suggest offering people an early signup deal -- a discount if signed up when the cable spools show up on the block and the installers start working, to save sending out another truck later on to hook them up?

What exactly is going to be needed -- do they take down the copper phone drop from pole to house, or leave it in place (for the next homeowner perhaps) but just disconnected?

And I presume they will run a new fiber drop from the pole to the house where the phone drop is/was?

And come inside and replace the copper termination box with something, and swap out the Pace modem we have now with something else?
by Ianw » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:48 am
Availability was bumped two months, but it's not saying that I'm not eligible, so that's fantastic. :-D I'm... impatient, but I can wait.

The upgrade/downgrade page says "We'll contact you as soon as service is available to schedule your installation." Just to double-check, that does mean I'm in the queue and don't need to do anything but wait to be contacted? And how will this contact take place? Email to sonic account? Phone? Mail?
by dane » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:52 am
Ianw wrote:Availability was bumped two months, but it's not saying that I'm not eligible, so that's fantastic. :-D I'm... impatient, but I can wait.

The upgrade/downgrade page says "We'll contact you as soon as service is available to schedule your installation." Just to double-check, that does mean I'm in the queue and don't need to do anything but wait to be contacted? And how will this contact take place? Email to sonic account? Phone? Mail?
Yes, there's no need to take any action - current customers will get an email invitation to schedule their migration to fiber just as soon as the region is active.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Chris R » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:39 pm
We currently have Comcast cable internet and as much as I loathe Comcast, I can count on one hand if i chopped 3 of my fingers off how many times its been down over the past 3 years we have been where we currently live.

I realize Fiber is/will be new in Albany, but in other places that have it, how was the service out of the gate in terms of speed, stability etc..? My wife works from home and cannot afford to have outages due to too much internet traffic or any other reason that can be traced to being poorly prepared for the new user onslaught.

What say you? Sign up and hope for the best or wait it out until its proven robust?

Also, apologies if this has been discussed but is the fiber to the pole and then existing wiring to the house or do the contractors actually wire fiber into the house? i know there is a proper term for this but i cant recall at the moment
by miken » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:42 pm
Chris R wrote:Also, apologies if this has been discussed but is the fiber to the pole and then existing wiring to the house or do the contractors actually wire fiber into the house? i know there is a proper term for this but i cant recall at the moment
Fiber all the way up to the ONT that we install. Ethernet from that to the router, which is usually just a few feet.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by digitalbitstream » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:49 pm
Dane;
What's the buildout plan from the Albany Central office. Will the drops close to the CO be first?
Or will you skip jump to the crappy DSL areas and run those drops first?
by dane » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:59 pm
digitalbitstream wrote:Dane;
What's the buildout plan from the Albany Central office. Will the drops close to the CO be first?
Or will you skip jump to the crappy DSL areas and run those drops first?
In the Albany project, there are roughly 70 fiber distribution areas, and all of these are set to go live over the span of a bit under four months. The "which is first" is driven primarily by the build schedule and its dependencies, for example you've got to have backbone to an area before you can build distribution. You need a splitter cabinet before you can activate a zone. Etc. But under four months is a very short bracket end-to-end for the activation of all zones.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ngufra » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:36 pm
It seems it's more related to MLK being using underground cabling. Sonic will only do pole wiring for now.
acohen36@sonic.net wrote:
This forum thread came up when I was googling for fiber in Berkeley. It looks like Martin Luther King is excluded from the fiber expansion? Seems like all the surrounding streets and cross streets are getting service in the spring. Any idea if service on MLK itself will ever be added?
Can we perhaps speculate that ISP competitor LMi.net https://www.lmi.net/ at 1700 Martin Luther King in North Berkeley is doing its own fiber expansion along MLK as well as on surrounding streets and cross streets??
by digitalbitstream » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:04 pm
dane wrote:
digitalbitstream wrote:The "which is first" is driven primarily by the build schedule and its dependencies, for example you've got to have backbone to an area before you can build distribution. You need a splitter cabinet before you can activate a zone. Etc. But under four months is a very short bracket end-to-end for the activation of all zones.
Are the zones arranged to give service to poor DSL areas first, or
purely based on dependencies (e.g. good DSL near the CO areas first)?
205 posts Page 6 of 21