Dane - for real, what's the deal with Sonic fiber in Berkeley, Albany, El Cerrito?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
205 posts Page 4 of 21
by ptufts » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:16 pm
After the initial postcard about fusion in Berkeley I just got one that’s a heads up about sonic construction on my street!

Thank you Dane and Sonic, I’ve been loyal to you folks for years, and it’s nice to see you doing this major infrastructure upgrade. It’ll be much appreciated by this DSL customer at the noisy end of a very long pair of copper strands.
by cycloscott » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:25 pm
dane wrote:I'm inquiring with GIS team about your block.
Dane, Any update on this? Pretty please can I get Fiber? I really don't want to have to sell my house just to move a couple of blocks.
by cycloscott » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:29 pm
Looked at the availability again today, and it appears the new service will also be running down Camelia between Santa Fe and San Pablo. And unfortunately for me, the poles are on the wrong side of the road. So frustrating to be so close, and yet so far.
by stefanl » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:56 am
Some Sonic staff were walking up and down my street earlier this month, and we've seen Sonic trucks parked within a couple blocks of our neighborhood.

AT&T has been running new lines in my street over the last two weeks, and I'm assuming these are new fiber lines. Is AT&T installing fiber for Sonic (as a subcontractor), or should I assume that AT&T is installing Fiber for their own service? If not, will this mean we'll have two sets of fiber lines in the neighborhood.

Edit: In addition, I learned that the AT&T fiber can be identified by the yellow tags near each pole, which say "AT&T 1-800-555-1212",
--
Stefan Lasiewski, stefanco.com
by miken » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:32 am
AT&T does not install Fiber lines for us as a subcontractor, no.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by dane » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:38 pm
cycloscott wrote:Looked at the availability again today, and it appears the new service will also be running down Camelia between Santa Fe and San Pablo. And unfortunately for me, the poles are on the wrong side of the road. So frustrating to be so close, and yet so far.
Do the poles there not serve both sides of the street?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by cycloscott » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:12 am
dane wrote:Do the poles there not serve both sides of the street?
I'm the second house in on Cornell anyway, at 1405. Looks like the main lines run south on Santa Fe and then branch west onto Camelia. They then branch again to run both north and south on Cornell. The last pole on Camelia is mid-block between Cornell and Stannage where service appears to go underground. Sooooo, assuming I'm reading the lines correctly, if service is coming to my neighboring blocks on Camelia, then it could logically be coming to Cornell too. Assuming of course, that's worthwhile to cover only the 2 blocks of Cornell between Gilman and Santa Fe.
by jessieandrob » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:44 am
Hi Dane: any chance of fiber coming to Richmond Street in El Cerrito? Seems like the deployment is sticking to the Kensington area only.
by nberk » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:11 am
This forum thread came up when I was googling for fiber in Berkeley. It looks like Martin Luther King is excluded from the fiber expansion? Seems like all the surrounding streets and cross streets are getting service in the spring. Any idea if service on MLK itself will ever be added?
by apl » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:52 pm
I live on MLK Jr. Way as well. I believe the issue is that our utilities are undergrounded, which makes it significantly more expensive to run new lines, and Sonic has basically decided that we are not worth the expense. (Officially: "Our engineering department asses [sic!] the feasibility of running fiber on a block by block basis ahead of time. At this time we are not extending fiber beyond our planned build out.")
Too bad, and continuing to spend $60/month for speeds that hover around 5 Mbps is getting pretty hard to rationalize.
205 posts Page 4 of 21