Dane - for real, what's the deal with Sonic fiber in Berkeley, Albany, El Cerrito?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
205 posts Page 8 of 21
by ngufra » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:52 am
There was a Sonic truck by east corner of Marin school on Marin avenue this morning.they were working on the overhead fiber.
by dane » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:59 am
ngufra wrote:There was a Sonic truck by east corner of Marin school on Marin avenue this morning.they were working on the overhead fiber.
I get the spooky feeling that we're being watched!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by sanger » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:41 pm
I am seeing fiber availability in the 800 and the 1000 block of Evelyn and on the 900 block of Talbot but not the 900 block of Evelyn. Even the next door neighbor in my back yard shows fiber availability.

What gives? I've been a customer for 14 years and waiting a long time.
by digitalbitstream » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:42 pm
cycloscott wrote:I need to stop looking at the availability page. It's too damned frustrating. Latest check shows that it's only my block of Cornell that won't be getting fiber. Installation is hitting both sides of Gilman, stopping at Camelia
A cool hack would be a map mashup, using data scraped from Sonic's availability tool.

Dane: how about letting customers collude in the fiber gaps, with multiple households using a pair of Ubiquity modems to a donor house at the edge of the fiber zone? Chasing the money for fiber is one thing, offering universal service is another. Many bigger companies are willing to take a small loss on some customers to have a simple to explain offering.
by ngufra » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:49 am
I had asked in 2015 about using a dual wan router with my also sonic member neighbor to increase bandwidth and add redundancy.
This is different but relevant still. Combine bandwidth with my neighbor

There are some technical aspects, some contractual aspects and some liability aspects.

You are not supposed to run a cable (or a wifi link) to your neighbor on a residential internet access contract.

-Francois
digitalbitstream wrote:
cycloscott wrote:I need to stop looking at the availability page. It's too damned frustrating. Latest check shows that it's only my block of Cornell that won't be getting fiber. Installation is hitting both sides of Gilman, stopping at Camelia
A cool hack would be a map mashup, using data scraped from Sonic's availability tool.

Dane: how about letting customers collude in the fiber gaps, with multiple households using a pair of Ubiquity modems to a donor house at the edge of the fiber zone? Chasing the money for fiber is one thing, offering universal service is another. Many bigger companies are willing to take a small loss on some customers to have a simple to explain offering.
by dane » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:55 pm
sanger wrote:I am seeing fiber availability in the 800 and the 1000 block of Evelyn and on the 900 block of Talbot but not the 900 block of Evelyn. Even the next door neighbor in my back yard shows fiber availability.

What gives? I've been a customer for 14 years and waiting a long time.
Word from engineering team is that we have been denied in our application to attach to the existing poles on Marin Ave, and Buchanan to the West, as PG&E is currently in the process of undergrounding the utilities on that street. As a result, it is not possible to reach the overhead pole lines between Marin Ave and Solano Ave, with the exception of Talbot, Madison, and Adams, which each have a lead which crosses Solano.

We will continue to engage in advocacy on the issue of utility undergrounding in hopes that telecommunications can be included in those efforts in the future.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Linberl1 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:07 pm
Wow, that really sucks. I've been a Sonic user for a super long time, too. How does the 1000 block which is just the other side of Marin manage to get it when the 900 block on the opposite side of Marin does not? I'm assuming the 1000 block has to connect to the poles on Marin as well. :-(
by dane » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:02 pm
Linberl1 wrote:Wow, that really sucks. I've been a Sonic user for a super long time, too. How does the 1000 block which is just the other side of Marin manage to get it when the 900 block on the opposite side of Marin does not? I'm assuming the 1000 block has to connect to the poles on Marin as well. :-(
From my look at the GIS system, those are served from the South, so they're reachable.

I'm inquiring with the team here to see if we can find a good contact with the City, to see if there are any dig once policy opportunities that might allow for conduit to be included in the project. They're doing some pretty extensive work, with sidewalks, curbs, signage, etc, so it's a substantial City project.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Linberl1 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:20 pm
Dane,
It's a very TINY city and the city offices and staff are small. Shouldn't be too hard to reach someone, lol. Albany makes Santa Rosa look like a giant metropolis. I hope something can be done so we don't end up being the last to get upgraded service.
Thanks for looking into it more.
by cycloscott » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:42 pm
dane wrote:From my look at the GIS system...
Dane can you please take a look at the GIS system for the 1400 block of Cornell Ave in Berkeley? The 1300 block is scheduled for May after crossing Gilman. The 1500 block about a month later after continuing the run from the 1400 block of Santa Fe. I'm stuck in the middle with either DSL or joining the darkside of cable.
205 posts Page 8 of 21