Dane - for real, what's the deal with Sonic fiber in Berkeley, Albany, El Cerrito?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
205 posts Page 11 of 21
by ettamommy » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:48 pm
When will Phiber come to the Northside neighborhood? Your techs tell me it's not even on the schedule yet. Seriously?
by dane » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:34 am
You can get fiber availability and projected service activation dates by address at http://sonic.com/availability
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Linberl1 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:12 pm
Word from the many people tearing up the 900 blocks in Albany is that after East Bay MUD (water) finishes on the East side, then PGE will be digging up the West sides of the streets. Should be happening pretty soon. Right now, AT&T is wiring their underground install box at the corner of Marin & Evelyn (my street). I really REALLY don't want to go back to AT&T after all these years with Sonic, so please find a way to get the "900's" access to your fiber!
by ozware » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:23 pm
Looking forward to fiber.

We are on Albany Hill and Sonic rolled out a fiber cabinet high on a telephone pole on the corner of Washington & Cerrito Streets about three-four weeks ago. Then Sonic peppered the neighborhood with door tag advertisements.

I was able to order recently via Member Tools last week and have an early July install date. I never received an email from Sonic announcing that I could order fiber. So, I would not count on a call or an email from Sonic after you see the fiber rolling out in your neighborhood. Periodically check your member tools.

By Friday evening, a coil of fiber appeared high up one wall attached to our house parallel to the ancient phone line. No demark, yet. I suspect the demark can be done during the install.

The fiber line is a thin white cable that is as flexible as stiff thread, much more flexible than un-coated audio fiber I have worked with. This is encased in a stiff black plastic shell.

Very cool. The power of light! So, we are on our way. Yeah!

Our telephone line is so old that the phone demark is a huge brass set of terminals, looking very steam punk and is located in an interior crawl space, close to where I want the ONT installed.

I don't need the Pace Router, but will rent for a couple of months to make sure everything is working correctly.

Unfortunately, First Alarm (formally Sentry) doesn't support VOIP, so they are installing a wireless transmitter, no need for copper connection.

Concerning VOIP. I had replaced the old crappy telephone wiring in the house years ago, and ran the new stuff from a punch-down board near the phone demark. Detaching the interior wiring from ATT copper is easy and, I believe, the RJ11 telephone connector on the ONT can be plugged directly into my isolated home telephone network, without problems.

I wish everyone luck when fiber finally arrives.

--Ozware
by shirley_kirsten » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:30 pm
Rep. came here last month. Said I would hear in June about FREE trial and installation.. So far no follow-up on installation.. now we are heading past mid-June.. Monterey Hopkins neighborhood.
by amsluis » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:12 pm
Is the availability estimate reliable at all?

Mine originally said March 2018 toward the beginning of the year, and has said June since late February IIRC. Now June is getting close to ending, and I've no email or option to upgrade in the member tools page.

Furthermore, I just got a mailer from Paxio about Fiber construction occurring August through mid-September in my area. Is this the same fiber roll-out? Is that a better estimate of the timeline, or are they expected to do work later than Sonic?

I always figured there would be delays and I can wait, it would just be nice to know what a reasonable estimate is looking like.

I'm on Berkeley Way at Mcgee.
by bryanhaggerty » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:40 pm
Paxio is a separate fiber provider. They’ll be running their own lines as well.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6500
by ozware » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:30 pm
Sonic's original projection for Albany was for Feb. 2018. This projection was moved out to March and April. In June, I saw the fiber rolling and now have a scheduled install for July.

What we see are optimistic projections that may be 6 months off. This is fine. Fiber is a new telecommunication technology requiring a physical build out. This may be similar to cable roll-outs before my time.

Bottom line, if you don't see the sonic trucks and the fiber rolling you are not getting fiber soon.

-Ozware
by sanger » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:20 pm
Linberl1 wrote:Word from the many people tearing up the 900 blocks in Albany is that after East Bay MUD (water) finishes on the East side, then PGE will be digging up the West sides of the streets. Should be happening pretty soon. Right now, AT&T is wiring their underground install box at the corner of Marin & Evelyn (my street). I really REALLY don't want to go back to AT&T after all these years with Sonic, so please find a way to get the "900's" access to your fiber!

I'm also on the 900 block and completely agree. Have been with Sonic for 13 years and really would hate to lose the service. They have to find a way to continue to provide service long-time customers. Missing the opportunity to underground with all the other utilities in the Marin Avenue project was a big hit. Hopefully Dane can find some solution for getting us upgraded access.
by ngufra » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:56 am
In house install of fiber now (tech is basement) Yipee!

He told him i do not need router, he suggested i keep it in the box for a year.
He thought i was getting the promo offer which requires rental of equipment (something like $10 off per month but you have to rent the router for $9.50; promo offer in this area also includes 1 month free and no contract i think (as opposed to 1 year commitment or i need to pay $150 (for having installed the line i guess))
When i requested service upgrade I was told i could get a new line and then disconnect my existing service so i could benefit from promo offer. However, i am getting better service (that's what i expect at least going from VDSL to fiber),so i am not expecting to pay less; Paying the same amount is a great offer in and of itself.
205 posts Page 11 of 21