Will I need a service tech to come over to my house?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by Lookingtobuy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:00 pm
I currently have Comcast internet, which is in my roommate's name. He's moving out, and he cancelled the service so I can start a new service for the place (we were hoping Comcast would give me an introductory rate). I own the router and modem personally. I'm getting well and tired of Comcast's crap, though, and the more I think about it, the more I'd rather switch to Sonic. Comcast service ends on Saturday, and I'm working tomorrow, Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and Saturday. Can I just use the mobile internet on my phone to purchase Sonic service and then configure my modem and router with Sonic, or alternatively, complete this process over the phone? Or does Sonic need to send a tech over to configure my place with the AT&T DSL line (I don't know if it is or not)?
by Lookingtobuy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:12 pm
I asked my landlady (inlaw, so she lives upstairs) what her internet provider is, and she uses AT&T. So, I take it that means my house is totally ready for Sonic in terms of wiring and all that?
by steelgaze » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:17 pm
AFAIK:

If it's Sonic DSL that's being offered, which is most likely vDSL, the Tech doesn't need to visit.

If you are going to be ordering FTTN DSL, the tech will need to visit.

If it is Fiber, the tech will definitely need to visit.

You need to rent the modem for the second two options, permanently required if the FTTN. There's no way around it.
For fiber, you have to rent it for at least the first month.
by miken » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:39 am
I'd give our Sales team a call at 1-888-766-4233. DSL services sometimes require a dispatch, while FTTN and our Fiber will always come with full installations. You also wouldn't be able to use your existing modem, which is probably going to be a Docsis cable modem used for Comcast services - we supply a modem though so that shouldn't be a worry.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
4 posts Page 1 of 1