Home products availability

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by Guest94122 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:52 am
I tried to check availability for my area, and I am only able to choose FTTH. Granted, great service and speed, but what about FTTN and plain old DSL? Why they don't appear as (alternative, understood) available choices in my area?
by dane » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:27 am
Because fiber to the home is much faster, more reliable, and lower-cost. Our goal is to build fiber to all of our customers, to migrate them from xDSL based services over to optical fiber.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by pockyken007 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:19 pm
Guest94122 wrote:I tried to check availability for my area, and I am only able to choose FTTH. Granted, great service and speed, but what about FTTN and plain old DSL? Why they don't appear as (alternative, understood) available choices in my area?

who the hell would want anything else aside from cheaper fiber to their home you literally get more bang for the buck ... with fiber .
by dane » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:01 pm
pockyken007 wrote:
Guest94122 wrote:I tried to check availability for my area, and I am only able to choose FTTH. Granted, great service and speed, but what about FTTN and plain old DSL? Why they don't appear as (alternative, understood) available choices in my area?

who the hell would want anything else aside from cheaper fiber to their home you literally get more bang for the buck ... with fiber .
I'm sure there's a nicer way to say this, but the point is accurate. It'd make no sense to take an inferior xDSL product when fiber is available, and that's why the website doesn't offer any choices.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by MouseRat » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:30 am
Guessing that you're curious about lower priced alternatives to Sonic Gigabit? Keep in mind that Sonic charges the same price for all of its internet services, whether it's 3mbps DSL, 18mbps FTTN, or gigabit fiber. So if you somehow managed to talk them into giving you DSL, you'd pay the same price as your neighbor getting fiber (which, by the way, is really ticking off a bunch of Sonic customers who are only able to get DSL).

Don't know your situation, but maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that Comcast and AT&T have very low cost internet options for low-income families; info at http://everyoneon.org
by Guest94122 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:12 am
Thanks for the replies. MouseRat gave some good information, and yes, it's peculiar that dsl and fiber are priced the same.
I assume it has to do with business expenses being similar, and not with actual cost of service.
For those who can't yet get fiber from Sonic, there are a couple of other providers in SF who may cover you, so good luck.
6 posts Page 1 of 1