Sonic brings ultra-fast Internet to Sebastopol

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
19 posts Page 2 of 2
by shane5@sonic.net » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:10 am
I'd like to hear from anyone in downtown sebastopol who is now using direct tv on how the service and reception are. Thanks. Shane
by dane » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:17 pm
I've seen a few requests for specifics on the Sebastopol build-out, so here's a map of the first three phases. Note that this is not a commitment to serve any particular premise, and it is subject to change based upon conditions in the field.

As for the remainder of Sebastopol, market uptake in this pilot area will determine feasibility of build-out to city limits, which is our goal. It's unlikely that we will expand beyond city limits in the foreseeable future due to cost per mile and the impact of lower density.

-Dane

Dane Jasper
Sonic
by zbarr » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:26 pm
When and if sonic fiber comes to a city that doesnt have a "the sky is falling" fear of wifi (or leafblowers... :D ) will there be a chance of expanding wifi hotspots? I picture a ring of sonic wireless bubbles surrounding your build out maps. Have the AP's SSID's say "support locally owned internet!" -or something better- and have the portal page be an ad for sonic fusion/fiber/DSL.

With the right SSID and Sonic portal page, I think the (now defunct?) sonic home hotspot program could do wonders spreading the "Word of Sonic" to our neighbors, without us even having to say a thing.
by dane » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:31 pm
WiFi is great for house-scale deployments, so we see it as complimentary to fiber there, but beyond that we do not believe it makes sense.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by noah1235 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:56 pm
Dane: Thanks for posting the phased build-out plan.

It looks like Lorraine court is right on the western edge of Phase 3.

Here's one request from a happy fusion customer on Lorraine Ct, to please include it in Phase 3 :-)

I'm super excited about this and would love to help in anyway I can.
by dane » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:30 pm
Lorraine Ct is served underground, and we're focused on the aerial portion initially. We will do some underground though in a fourth phase, and Lorraine was discussed. :)

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by deepnet » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:42 am
I hope you either make it downtown to my office (130 petaluma ave) or across Covert Ln, onto Norlee st. to my home.

I have two fusion accounts in Sebastopol and I really can't wait for Fiber!

Do the first 3 phases have a target finish date? End of 2011? :D
Devin Baskin
Owner
DeepNet Computer Consulting
IT For Your Business!
www.DeepNet.com
by dane » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:01 am
We don't have firm dates at this point for the various phases - we're working as fast as we can, but the wheels turn slowly.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Bob Clement » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:14 pm
When will I get the high speed fiber optic service [on] Eileen Drive, Sebastopol?
19 posts Page 2 of 2