Trendnet DSL modem is in apparent sync, no internet

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by mindfu » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:26 am
My previous modem fried, so I got a new Adsl2+ Trendnet modem, Model TEW - 721BRM. It appears to be connected to the line and can detect the download and upload speed, but beyond that no internet access occurs. On starting from factory settings I can actually ping websites from a terminal window and get a response. But once settings start that goes away too.

I have verified with Sonic that:
-> the line is working, and that the modem has sync.
-> I am using the right username and password for the line.
-> I am using the right VPI (0) and VCI (35).
->I think I am using the right Max MRU, whatever that is? I've seen something similar called MTU, which apparently according to another post in these forums should be set to 1472?

I have already rebooted the router, and have also released and renewed the IP.

What might I do to be able to fix this, so my modem can connect to the internet it is already seeing? Thanks so much.
by amayfield » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:47 pm
We do not require login credentials for syncing up and pulling an IP. It sounds like the modem has PPPoE, you'll want to disable that - the device should then pull an IP and you should have surf.
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
by mindfu » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:31 pm
I appreciate the suggestion, and just tried it. Unfortunately, with the modem's dynamic IP address setting I'm still not even a ping gets through via telnet, while the modem itself is showing via the gateway that there is Downstream of about 12Mbps and Upstream of about 1Mbps.

I've already released and renewed as well. The current IP address is 50. 0. 92. 95

Just rebooted the computer and the modem too, for good luck.

Other things I can try?
by theyipper » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:07 pm
Maybe try a different DNS server.
by aaronchang » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:10 pm
That Trendnet model that you have is a modem and wireless router. Did you by any chance set it into Bridge mode? If you did, you'll need to disable it.
by mindfu » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:52 pm
Thanks for the further suggestion. : ) I'm not sure if that was it or not, but I just did a factory reset for the modem and selected "Dynamic DNS" on the first screen, picked "manual configuration", put in 0 and 35 as the VPI and VCI and didn't change anything else from the defaults. Then it rebooted and now it works perfectly. : )

Thanks again for the helpful suggestions.
6 posts Page 1 of 1