Comcast Gigabit now available in SF but still can't compete

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
14 posts Page 1 of 2
by guestuser123123 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:35 am
If you haven't noticed, Comcast rolled out their DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit service in SF.

They're offering 1000 Mbps/ 35 Mbps for $70/month with a 24-month contract.

Their new service still can't compete with Sonic Fiber because:

* $70 vs $40 (before taxes and fees)
* 24 month contract
* 1TB monthly cap
* 28.5x slower upload speed
* It's Comcast

I wonder how Comcast is able to compete with Sonic in SF? There's no way right?
by pockyken007 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:29 am
guestuser123123 wrote:If you haven't noticed, Comcast rolled out their DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit service in SF.

They're offering 1000 Mbps/ 35 Mbps for $70/month with a 24-month contract.

* 24 month contract
* 1TB monthly cap
* 28.5x slower upload speed
* It's Comcast

I wonder how Comcast is able to compete with Sonic in SF? There's no way right?

The areas that are not covered by SONIC will take that and suffer till sonic rolls out their fiber there ( if at all )
by joeyyung911 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:29 am
guestuser123123 wrote:I wonder how Comcast is able to compete with Sonic in SF? There's no way right?
Pretty sure it's the other way around. Sonic will not compete with an incumbent fiber/gigabit competitor. And Comcast can deploy theirs in a snap of a finger.
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by (ex-)torstenb » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:39 pm
guestuser123123 wrote:If you haven't noticed, Comcast rolled out their DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit service in SF.

If it is anything like AT&T's Internet-only offer, then the $70 are the final price. No other fees or taxes would be added. With all the fees and taxes that are thrown onto the Sonic price, it may end up pretty close to being the same.
guestuser123123 wrote: * 24 month contract
= 24 month price-guarantee.
guestuser123123 wrote: * 1TB monthly cap
Only 1% or less of the population will have an issue with that today.
guestuser123123 wrote: * 28.5x slower upload speed
Can't beat symmetrical internet speeds. But again, not relevant to too many people yet these days.
guestuser123123 wrote: * It's Comcast
Just need to know how to work them.
guestuser123123 wrote:I wonder how Comcast is able to compete with Sonic in SF? There's no way right?
There's only a handful of streets and blocks in the entire Bay Area that Sonic may be relevant. Everywhere else Sonic can't compete anymore.
by steelgaze » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:23 am
Sonic's pricing is about 63~ dollars, which is a 7 dollar difference.
I'd say over the year it is 84 dollars difference.

Sonic has a 12 month contract, which is half of the 24 month price guarantee.
The Comcast guarantee is kinda stupid because it takes a long call or two and you can get that price back with another contract. Is it terrible? Honestly .. not really if you are also interested in the channel packages.
by pockyken007 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:49 pm
(ex-)torstenb wrote:

If it is anything like AT&T's Internet-only offer, then the $70 are the final price. No other fees or taxes would be added. With all the fees and taxes that are thrown onto the Sonic price, it may end up pretty close to being the same.
guestuser123123 wrote: * 24 month contract
= 24 month price-guarantee.
guestuser123123 wrote: * 1TB monthly cap
Only 1% or less of the population will have an issue with that today.
guestuser123123 wrote: * 28.5x slower upload speed
Can't beat symmetrical internet speeds. But again, not relevant to too many people yet these days.
guestuser123123 wrote: * It's Comcast
Just need to know how to work them.
There's only a handful of streets and blocks in the entire Bay Area that Sonic may be relevant. Everywhere else Sonic can't compete anymore.

Retention game , lack of privacy , data caps , deep packet scanning yeah no thanks ...
by jdfrench » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:19 pm
Back-room deals with landlords to block Sonic service from multi-tenant buildings. Apparently landlords can just ignore the ordinance and face no penalty since it's not worth going to court over. Mine did, and I'm now locked into a contract with Comcast at 100 megabits per second for $10 more than Sonic gigabit would cost me. The fiber is 5 feet from my window.
by steelgaze » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:16 am
jdfrench wrote:Back-room deals with landlords to block Sonic service from multi-tenant buildings. Apparently landlords can just ignore the ordinance and face no penalty since it's not worth going to court over. Mine did, and I'm now locked into a contract with Comcast at 100 megabits per second for $10 more than Sonic gigabit would cost me. The fiber is 5 feet from my window.
Complain to the City. They can get the landlord fined $500/day + attorney fees (theres) if the landlord keeps refusing.
It's a double edge sword though. Your landlord is going to give you shit for the rest of your time there.
by pockyken007 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:27 pm
steelgaze wrote:
jdfrench wrote:Back-room deals with landlords to block Sonic service from multi-tenant buildings. Apparently landlords can just ignore the ordinance and face no penalty since it's not worth going to court over. Mine did, and I'm now locked into a contract with Comcast at 100 megabits per second for $10 more than Sonic gigabit would cost me. The fiber is 5 feet from my window.
Complain to the City. They can get the landlord fined $500/day + attorney fees (theres) if the landlord keeps refusing.
It's a double edge sword though. Your landlord is going to give you shit for the rest of your time there.

I would file a complain and make the landlord suffer ... but then he will become a pain in the ass ... so yeah depends how badly you want that fiber :P
by user817127 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:06 pm
steelgaze wrote:Sonic's pricing is about 63~ dollars, which is a 7 dollar difference.
I'd say over the year it is 84 dollars difference.

Sonic has a 12 month contract, which is half of the 24 month price guarantee.
The Comcast guarantee is kinda stupid because it takes a long call or two and you can get that price back with another contract. Is it terrible? Honestly .. not really if you are also interested in the channel packages.
I believe you can forego renting a router from Sonic which will reduce your monthly cost by several dollars.

I provide internet to all my tenants so my bandwidth usage averages 1.2TB per month. That would end up costing $120/month if I chose Comcast vs less than $60 if I chose Sonic. That's not accounting for the far superior upload speeds and more consistent bandwidth during peak times.
14 posts Page 1 of 2