Problem with smart rg sr515ac wifi dropping out

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
19 posts Page 1 of 2
by davidwbt » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:55 pm
I recently switched from the bonded pair dsl using the pace modem to gig fiber which is awesome, however the smart rg router that was installed seems to periodically drop the wifi connection with both 2g and 5g connections disappearing for a while. Sometimes it comes back and sometimes requires a power cycle. Anyone else facing this or have tips on settings or logs that could tell what is going on. On my old setup the pace modem was rock solid on wifi and the at&t wiring that was higher maintenance requiring more or less an annual at&t call out to address.
by miken » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:34 am
Are the networks visible on other devices? If not, the first thing to try would be to factory restore the Smart RG: https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/SmartRG_SR5 ... tory_Reset
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by ddude » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:05 pm
were you able to solve this issue? I have the same exact symptoms over the past week with my Smart RG sr515AC. I just factory reset my router per miken's advice so we'll see how long it lasts, but curious if you have found lasting solution.
by ddude » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:23 pm
update: it went down again after about 10 minutes. for what it's worth, my hardwired connection has never shown a hint of failing (plugged in through the router), it's just the WiFi connection that has been unreliable. I've opened up the 2G access point for now to see if that's more stable even if it is 4x slower, though I'm hoping for a long term solution instead of a bandaid fix.
by miken » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:40 am
ddude wrote:update: it went down again after about 10 minutes. for what it's worth, my hardwired connection has never shown a hint of failing (plugged in through the router), it's just the WiFi connection that has been unreliable. I've opened up the 2G access point for now to see if that's more stable even if it is 4x slower, though I'm hoping for a long term solution instead of a bandaid fix.
If you don't mind shooting me your username, I'd be happy to take a deeper look into it!
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by jksalvo » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:28 pm
Did anyone find a solution to this issue? We had the SR515ac installed in our house about two weeks ago and noticed problems with the WiFi about a week after that with the exact same symptoms. I talked to a Sonic tech a couple days ago and he recommended changing the wireless channels, but that hasn't helped...
by inverted » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:43 pm
I seem to be experiencing WiFi drops as well (happens once a day or so), and the only sure way of fixing it is to power-cycle the unit. I did a wifi survey and picked the least congested channels for 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, but that doesn't seem to help.

Would love to get any other ideas....
by miken » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:58 am
I haven't gotten any follow up responses - so I'm not sure if people's problems are getting fixed after a factory restore or if issues are continuing and just not being addressed. If you've tried factory restoring the Smart RG (see my post above for a link with instructions) and are continuing to see issues please feel free to send me a Personal Message with a summary of the problem and as much detail as you have so I can look into it.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by kyle.depasquale » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:05 am
My roommate and I have experienced this as well. A reboot seems to fix the issue for a day or so, but then the issue returns. I'll try a factory reset and see what happens.
by regardip » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:48 am
Last night I also had my WiFi drop entirely from smart rg sr515ac. Tried rebooting several times and did not get it back at all. Had a WiFi extender and that hot knocked out as well based on router. Very frustrating
19 posts Page 1 of 2