SF Muni Electric Line Clearance

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
1 post Page 1 of 1
by jeffreygriffindor » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:47 pm
Fiber was run down my street in SF last month, but my fiber drop installation is now delayed as Sonic techs discovered that there was not a 10ft clearance from the electric Muni lines on my street. They now have to get a permit to de-energize the lines while they install the drops. This sounds like quite an ordeal to me. Does anyone know how long it takes to get such a permit and ultimately install the drops?

I'm also curious, in general, whether Solcom (who I think Sonic contracted) had to de-energize the lines to run the fiber on the poles as well?

Also, does Sonic do something to avoid getting individual such permits for every new drop installation, like doing the pole work for all the drops on the street at once, and scheduling the rest of the work as individual appointments with customers later? I'm curious, whether back in the day when cable TV was new, would whatever cable company have simply installed drops to every single house to save money in anticipation of the demand, or installed them incrementally, on-demand like Sonic seems to be doing?

EDIT: so I just happened to get home at the very time Sonic was installing a drop for my upstairs neighbor, but not for me :| . But awesomely, I called Sonic and they were able to coordinate in real-time having them install my drop while they're out there! Cool that they could re-coordinate in real-time, but not so cool that Sonic couldn't coordinate multiple drop installations for the same house in the first place...

Re: the Muni line thing, for my upstairs neighbor's appointment, they came and just decided to park on the sidewalk to avoid the electric Muni lines :lol:
1 post Page 1 of 1