Fiber in South San Jose?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
12 posts Page 1 of 2
by mwon » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:10 pm
Had a question is sonic going to bring fiber to south san jose since google has halted/stopped their plans for google fiber?
by AlsoInterested » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:41 pm
Also interested. I know you will say you are always expanding, but would appreciate if you can give any kind of time frame. Will it be next year, next decade, next centry or millennia?
by UncleBen » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:19 pm
I live in the Cambrian neighborhood of San Jose, but as someone antsy to get faster speeds than 47Mbps(while staying as far from companies like Compast as possible) I'm also curious about this.
by Davew » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:58 pm
Would totally sign up for sonic fiber. Please deploy in south San Jose.
by Davew » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:54 am
I would totally sign up, 95123 Morton way
by thomashong » Sun May 20, 2018 10:20 pm
I get great service from Comcast here. For a $50 intro price, I get 180 Mbps download speed (recently bumped up from 120 Mbps). Solid service and has only been down once in two years. However, I would switch to Sonic if they offered gigabit service for their support of net neutrality and customer service. I only wish they would offered static IPs.
by pboggini » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:52 am
I've been patiently waiting for Sonic to land fiber in the Cambrian area of San Jose. Having bonded DSL for many years and I keep looking into Comcast and ATT as I'm getting tired of paying so much for so little (25Mb/s down, 2Mb/s up with bonded DSL).

It would be really nice to know if we are even on Sonic's radar or not.
by rg1 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:24 pm
we have FTTN here in south San Jose (Almaden area) and we're paying a steep $65+ for less than 20Mbps down, and 1.8Mbps up.
Like you, we've been waiting very patiently for a higher speed offering but there hasn't been even a single update on this topic for > 3 years now.
I'm eagerly waiting for the oft-rumored T-Mobile 50Mbps, no caps, no hidden fees, $50/month plan to become a reality and after the Sprint merger approval, that is something we're very excited about.
It may be time to say Sayonara and 'nice knowing you' to Sonic very very soon.
by pboggini » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:23 am
RG1, I too have been hoping for the TMO $50/50Mbps plan but I think they are focusing on rural areas. There is another option, Sail Internet (https://www.sailinternet.com/). They use mmwave to deliver to your house. I ping'd a Tina who I saw responding to folks in Yelp asking "When can I get Sail?". She responded and had me meet with a Javier. They are looking for neighborhood champions to help them find tall buildings (preferably Multi Dwelling Units) to deliver Fiber to and then they can put transmitters on top and deliver to the surrounding neighborhood. I've found a few and given them the info and I'm hoping this will allow them to get Sail into my neighborhood. They claim 100-200Mbps down, 50-100Mbps up for $55/month.

PM me if you'd like the contact info.
by rganapathi » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:11 am
Hi all

This post may be relevant to folks who live in the South San Jose area and possibly other areas of San Jose as well. I learned last night that the T-Mobile Home Internet service, currently based on their 4G LTE modems, is now available here in our area. I just signed up for the service - it's $50 per month, inclusive of all taxes and fees. And best of all, no ATA (analog telephone adapter) needed.
That represents a nice $16 savings over what we're paying Sonic every month.
The rep I spoke with said most customers are seeing download speeds of approx 50Mbps with upload speeds of approx 30Mbps. This compares with the Fusion service speeds that I measured with Sonic's own SpeedTest: 19Mbps down, 1.8Mbps upload. These numbers are better than what we've been seeing over the past few weeks; "wildly inconsistent" doesn't even begin to describe it.

After being a customer for >13 years, I'm sorry to leave. But we're tired of waiting for Dane and team to roll out fiber to San Jose and simultaneously paying $10 each month just so their preferred regions in SF and the North Bay can be blanketed with fiber first.

I'll be happy to return to Sonic when the following events occur:
a) offer a competitive product at a competitive price.
b) please provide a clear and unambiguous timetable of when you expect to have fiber available in each region which is now covered with the Fusion service offering.

So long and thanks for all the fish!
12 posts Page 1 of 2