Connecting wirelessly to TV

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by sfair » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:05 pm
Hi,

I'm trying to connect a 2009 Sony Bravia TV that's "wireless LAN-ready" to my Sonic wireless network [I don't have Sonic TV service]. The TV has 2 HDMI ports, but no ethernet port. Sony discontinued their adapter ["UWABR100 wireless LAN adapter"], and similar adapters found online seem to need an ethernet port*.

Any suggestions for how to connect the TV to my Sonic wireless network would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

[* from the web: "For wireless connection to the internet, get a device that will act as WIRELESS CLIENT, such as the TP-LINK TL-WR702N Wireless N150 Travel Router, or the TP-LINK TL-WR700N Wireless N150 Portable Router, both of which are under $20 on Amazon. Configure as a CLIENT device using your PC or laptop first, then connect to the TV Ethernet port and follow the usual setup. Your TV will act as if you are using a hard wired Ethernet cable, allowing full internet access for all the built in apps."]
by pockyken007 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:26 pm
sfair wrote:Hi,

I'm trying to connect a 2009 Sony Bravia TV that's "wireless LAN-ready" to my Sonic wireless network [I don't have Sonic TV service]. The TV has 2 HDMI ports, but no ethernet port. Sony discontinued their adapter ["UWABR100 wireless LAN adapter"], and similar adapters found online seem to need an ethernet port*.

Any suggestions for how to connect the TV to my Sonic wireless network would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

[* from the web: "For wireless connection to the internet, get a device that will act as WIRELESS CLIENT, such as the TP-LINK TL-WR702N Wireless N150 Travel Router, or the TP-LINK TL-WR700N Wireless N150 Portable Router, both of which are under $20 on Amazon. Configure as a CLIENT device using your PC or laptop first, then connect to the TV Ethernet port and follow the usual setup. Your TV will act as if you are using a hard wired Ethernet cable, allowing full internet access for all the built in apps."]

Does your TV have USB port ?

Alternatively you might try this :

Power on your TV and press the "Home" button on your Bravia remote.

Select "Settings."

Choose "Network Set-Up" and "View Network Status."

Press "Enter" on the remote.

Select "Wireless Set-Up" and then "Scan."

Choose the Wi-Fi network to which you want to connect. If the network is secured, you will be required to enter the network's password.
by pockyken007 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:49 pm
did this solve your issue by any chance?
by SonicUser » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:41 am
You said your TV has no ethernet port which only leaves a usb adapter but Sony discontinued them. You could try and purchase the Sony model or an alternate off a third party site. Another option would be to purchase a Roku, Firestick, etc.. For example, you could get this Roku express probably cheaper than the usb adapter and use it on any TV with HDMI.

https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Express-HD- ... B01LXJA5JD
by sfair » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:12 am
Thanks for your replies, sorry for the delayed response!

I can't find the Network settings in the Menu, strangely because when I first purchased the TV [used], I was able to get to the Network settings...

I will try the Roku and see if that works.

Thanks so much for responding :)
by pockyken007 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:03 pm
sfair wrote:Thanks for your replies, sorry for the delayed response!

I can't find the Network settings in the Menu, strangely because when I first purchased the TV [used], I was able to get to the Network settings...

I will try the Roku and see if that works.

Thanks so much for responding :)

is there a way to reset the TV to factory settings ?
by danielg4 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:06 am
Wow, Sony really gouges for the USB wi-fi adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing ... dition=all
No idea how well any of these work, but they claim to be compatible:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... 00&_sop=15
by sfair » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:08 am
Finally found someone at Best Buy who suggested the Fire TV Stick. It works! Sucks that I had to create an Amazon account to set it up, but no credit card information was required.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help!
by pockyken007 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:40 am
sfair wrote:Finally found someone at Best Buy who suggested the Fire TV Stick. It works! Sucks that I had to create an Amazon account to set it up, but no credit card information was required.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help!

glad it worked out for you :)
9 posts Page 1 of 1