Petaluma fiber

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
12 posts Page 1 of 2
by Foremans » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:15 pm
Over the past few weeks, Sonic had been laying new fiber along Maria Dr and Rainier Ave. Today they crossed Sonoma Mountain Pkwy to Rainier Cir.

Is this fiber going to continue north towards the SRJC campus and Kenilworth neighborhood?
by Bmiller » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:15 pm
I have seen the same activity and the work has made it up rainier almost to Sonoma mountain parkway elementary. Is there a chance of fiber coming to this area?
by wyeager3 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:51 am
I see fiber pulled to a pothole in front of every house down Crinella Dr. Would love to glimpse the roadmap to see how long we'll have to wait . . .
by ubermick » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:09 pm
They were laying fiber a few weeks ago at the corner of Casa Grande and Ely Blvd. South. Excitedly asked one of the workers what the story was, and he acknowledged it was fiber for the high school. No clue if there are plans to extend into residential neighborhoods, but I'll be signing up the second it happens. I can't wait to be done with Comcast, but for now Sonic just can't give me the speed I need at home. (50mbps vs 250mpbs)
by ekosf » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:57 pm
Any updates on the expansion?
by dane » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:17 pm
ekosf wrote:Any updates on the expansion?
No, nothing we can share at this time.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by jcoffland » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:18 pm
I'm a longtime Sonic user. I've stuck with Sonic despite the slower speeds but I desperately want fiber. Any updates on when residential access will be available on the west side of Petaluma?
by dane » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:56 pm
No update yet, sorry.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Dylan » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:56 pm
Is sonic going to be putting residential fiber into the new Brody ranch community?
by dane » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:42 pm
Dylan wrote:Is sonic going to be putting residential fiber into the new Brody ranch community?
Does Petaluma have a dig once policy, or do developers just put in conduit for the two incumbents?

(It's a rhetorical question: Petaluma does not. Sorry!)

In cities where significant new development will occur in the coming decades, a dig once policy should be seriously considered. And for those cities which are at their growth boundaries where they expect mostly smaller housing projects and infill, policy tools like MDU access and new building wiring standards are more useful.

The City of Brentwood in the East Bay has been a great example of a community adopting a dig once standard, which required developers to include additional conduit. The result: nearly 12,000 homes and businesses in Brentwood now have access to Sonic gigabit fiber service. It's a great success story, but unfortunately we haven't seen it replicated elsewhere.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
12 posts Page 1 of 2