Exciting postcards from sonic.net in south Berkeley today!

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
16 posts Page 2 of 2
by pockyken007 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:10 am
Becca W. wrote:I won't get upgraded yet I still had the same rate increase. Doesn't seem right.
The rate increase hit everybody across the board the same way what is not fair about that ? ( also this is a first rate increase in like 3-4 years - if not longer from SONIC ) you can't really expect a business to operate without increasing the rate as the expenses for running the business increase ?

Also just because " right now " you seem to be out of luck in terms of getting fiber I suggest you start petitioning your local gov. to allow microtrenching so that you can get fiber delivered in the future ... just my 10 cents .
by Jerkeley » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:46 pm
I suggest you start petitioning your local gov. to allow microtrenching so that you can get fiber delivered in the future ...
Good luck with that. I'm sure that in Berkeley microtrenching disenfranchises or offends somebody or something. My parents got a postcard but are in an area that's already underground. The meager ~6Mbps they get has been good enough but they're about to take on a couple of renters, so maybe not for long. No, FTTN is not available.
by Peteman100 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:06 am
@dane I'd also like to know what we can do on the consumer side to push this forward. Anyone at the City of Berkeley that we should be contacting?
by dane » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:11 pm
Peteman100 wrote:@dane I'd also like to know what we can do on the consumer side to push this forward. Anyone at the City of Berkeley that we should be contacting?
I haven't explored issues related to underground construction in Berkeley. You could ask the department of public works if they allow microtrenching or not, I suppose!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ptufts » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:19 pm
Will this be is sonic-owned fiber?

And is there anything Berkley residents can do to help move this along?
by pockyken007 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:31 am
ptufts wrote:Will this be is sonic-owned fiber?

And is there anything Berkley residents can do to help move this along?

Sonic rolls out their own fiber so yes it would be sonic owned fiber . As for residents helping out they can write , email , call their local politicians and utility agencies to make sure that microtrenching is possible in areas that might need it and that the city is on board of getting fiber
16 posts Page 2 of 2