Not getting 1gpbs on fiber

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
18 posts Page 2 of 2
by enig123 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:09 pm
I became Sonic fiber client from just early this year. However, the current speed test shows it only offer 140Mbps for both up & down, far from the promised 1Gbps.

What's going on here?
by pockyken007 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:07 pm
is that on wired or wifi connection ?

have you restarted the ONT /Modem ?
Are your cables at least CAT 5e or CAT 6
is your NIC capable of pushing 1 gig speeds ?
by enig123 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:08 pm
pockyken007 wrote:is that on wired or wifi connection ?

The test was done with wire cable connect to my laptop's Ethernet port.

Here's the thing, I found my router can directly connected with the ONT via cable, without the Pace router 'rented' from Sonic. My router is a Netgear N900, not sure if the router limited the data throughput though.
by pockyken007 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:19 pm
enig123 wrote:
pockyken007 wrote:is that on wired or wifi connection ?

The test was done with wire cable connect to my laptop's Ethernet port.

Here's the thing, I found my router can directly connected with the ONT via cable, without the Pace router 'rented' from Sonic. My router is a Netgear N900, not sure if the router limited the data throughput though.

if this is the router you have - https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WNDR4500 ... B00HEX851C you should be able to get 1 gig speeds .

Also if you run a test such as this ONT > cable CAT 5E or CAT 6 > laptop you should also see speeds around 1 gig ( provided your laptop NIC is capable of pushing 1 gig speeds and is set up for 1 gig traffic )

so TLDR : what category cable are you using to connect:
ONT > router > laptop
ONT > Laptop

(( I strongly recommend investing in CAT 6 cable ))

Also please check if your laptop NIC is capable of pushing 1 gig speeds ( is laptop windows or a mac and if windows what version 7 or 10 ? )
by rtrinh » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:59 pm
pockyken007 wrote: if this is the router you have - https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WNDR4500 ... B00HEX851C you should be able to get 1 gig speeds .
I can tell you by first hand experience that the WNDR4500 and the Asus equiv RT-AC66U routers WAN to LAN speed tops out around ~750Mbps.
by pockyken007 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:37 am
rtrinh wrote:
pockyken007 wrote: if this is the router you have - https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WNDR4500 ... B00HEX851C you should be able to get 1 gig speeds .
I can tell you by first hand experience that the WNDR4500 and the Asus equiv RT-AC66U routers WAN to LAN speed tops out around ~750Mbps.

The point is to eliminate all possible points of failure one by one and narrow down the culprit , even with 750 mbps and not full gig he should be seeing higher speeds than 140 mbps ...
by rtrinh » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:20 pm
pockyken007 wrote:
rtrinh wrote:

The point is to eliminate all possible points of failure one by one and narrow down the culprit , even with 750 mbps and not full gig he should be seeing higher speeds than 140 mbps ...
I know. I'm just pointing it out that if by chance they solve the stuck at 140Mbps and see ~750Mbps that there isn't any further problems.

I could also point out if he is getting 140Mbps it can be assumed they are connected at 1Gbps. It's down to the remaining hardware causing the bottleneck.

Another good question is 140Mbps coming from the laptop -> Netgear -> Pace
or
laptop -> Netgear -> ONT
How about
Laptop -> Pace
or
Laptop -> ONT

If the speed is slow from only with laptop -> Netgear or laptop -> Netgear -> Pace there's a possibility QoS is enabled.
If the speed is slow with laptop -> Pace or laptop -> ONT it could be cable or the laptop just cannot do it.
by pockyken007 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:02 pm
rtrinh wrote:
pockyken007 wrote:
rtrinh wrote:

I know. I'm just pointing it out that if by chance they solve the stuck at 140Mbps and see ~750Mbps that there isn't any further problems.

I could also point out if he is getting 140Mbps it can be assumed they are connected at 1Gbps. It's down to the remaining hardware causing the bottleneck.

Another good question is 140Mbps coming from the laptop -> Netgear -> Pace
or
laptop -> Netgear -> ONT
How about
Laptop -> Pace
or
Laptop -> ONT

If the speed is slow from only with laptop -> Netgear or laptop -> Netgear -> Pace there's a possibility QoS is enabled.
If the speed is slow with laptop -> Pace or laptop -> ONT it could be cable or the laptop just cannot do it.

All very good points , sadly without end user input it would be very hard to troubleshoot this issue as the next steps are dependent on the results of the previous steps and questions that still need ot be answered .
18 posts Page 2 of 2