Fiber gap between Mission and Noe Valley

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
37 posts Page 1 of 4
by joelburton » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:07 pm
I live in a multi-unit building at the corner of Chattanooga and 24th Street, at the edges of Noe Valley and the Mission.

It looks like we're in a tiny dead zone in the Mission rollout (https://thatdan.github.io/sonic_fiber/). However, Sonic has been dropping off marketing materials at our unit -- but your online "find service" form still suggests that my only option is DSL (I'm a long-term current Fusion customer; I'm delighted with the service, but higher-speed options are increasingly tempting).

Is there any info yet on whether these gaps in fiber rollout for Mission/Noe are short-term or long-term?

Thanks for any info!
by dane » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:11 pm
If you are getting door-hangars or other marketing material, but the website doesn't show available service, we've got an issue. What's the address of the building?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by joelburton » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:19 pm
3746 24th St.

We got pile of frisbees (which are quite fun, actually!) on our doorstep.

Thanks for any info, Dane.
by dane » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:39 pm
Sorry, no good news for you. (Except for the free Frisbee! Those should not have been delivered to that location.)

For a detailed view on why we cannot reach your building, see: http://imgur.com/aFAjixq
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by joelburton » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:44 pm
Darn. Thanks for the explanation.

I'm still keeping the frisbee, though. My cats like it.
by dane » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:13 pm
joelburton wrote:Darn. Thanks for the explanation.

I'm still keeping the frisbee, though. My cats like it.
It's small comfort, but I'm glad the cats are happy at least!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by lilyr » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:23 pm
I'm also affected by the "fiber gap" from undergrounded utilities. What can we do to help get buildout in undergrounded areas like 21st, 24th, and Dolores?

Is the issue still that microtrenching isn't allowed?
by steelgaze » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:45 am
Microtrenching is allowed (AFAIK) but unusable.

I don't think Sonic is interested in replacing poles as they cost big dollars so you'll probably have to wait until the microtrenching rules are favorable to Sonic's plans of deployment.
by Branman » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:49 pm
Hi Dane
We are on the east side of Dolores St, b/t 22nd and 23rd. We are served by above ground utilities (standard pole) from Quane St, the alley. I think it is possible that Sonic was unaware of this situation, and grouped us together with the rest of Dolores St that is served by underground utilities and hasn't made Fiber available. Can you comment on our unique situation? I spoke to a Sonic technician in the area, he said Quane St "should" get a fiber run , but it appears that your technicians have already left the area ... :( Please help! It seems possible to get access...

Sonic Ticket #4671903 , describes this in more detail (didnt get a response though).

Thanks,
Brandon @ 941 Dolores
by steelgaze » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:36 am
While Quane street has the poles, there no good way to get the fiber to the poles on Quane. Both ends, 22nd and 24th do not have overhead cables. The only way to get fiber to Quane is undergrounding fiber then coming back up at the poles.
37 posts Page 1 of 4