Fiber gap between Mission and Noe Valley

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
37 posts Page 4 of 4
by Branman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:14 pm
@jason13 I have run into Sonic techs in the Mission and have asked about this (re: Quane should be able to service Dolores b/t 22nd and 23rd) ... and one day I got lucky , a Sonic line tech volunteered to go over to check it out. Sure enough, he reported back to me that Quane SHOULD HAVE gotten wired but was not sure why it was missed/overlooked..... he suggested that I keep checking with Sonic Support. The technician said he just needed a work order on his end to do the needed work.....

Very frustrating :(

Help us out Dane! Our section of Dolores is DENSE with potential Sonic Customers!

(I also sent appended info to Sonic Support today with support ticket # 4671903)
by kshep » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:24 pm
What I don't quite understand is how the city just in the last ~10 years went through a MAJOR project to underground the utilities on Dolores (from Market all the way down to San Jose?... killing a bunch of 40 foot trees in the process.. but that's another issue)... but they didn't lay the groundwork to run residential fiber anywhere along that corridor? Didn't they put any any sort of conduit or accommodation to pull additional lines without more trenching? Seems odd.
by jason13 » Sat May 19, 2018 12:39 pm
Pinging this thread one more time. It's been 9 months since Dane dangled this juicy tidbit:
dane wrote:Sorry I didn’t get to this over the weekend. Initially we had missed these alley poles and I have sent them to engineering to see if we can attach. Quane between 22nd and 23rd can be fed aerially from 22nd. I just don’t know if the poles fail or are impacted in any way yet. If all works out with the engineering, we’ll move forward with adding this block to the network.
Barring any updates, I'll be shuffling off to Wave shortly. As much as I love sonic, VDSL is just too snoozy...
by CAS » Sun May 27, 2018 4:31 pm
Another customer on Dolores between 22nd and 22rd. Long time (10 years!) Sonic user, for all the obvious reasons. But I too am about to switch to WAVE if I don't hear that Fiber is coming on a known schedule. It sounds like we do in fact have the capacity to be fiber-wired. Can we get a definitive answer? Please???
by jason13 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:41 pm
Update for those on Dolores st. still watching this thread:

I just noticed 'snowshoe' slack fiber loops, and red Sonic cable tags on Quane alley between 22-23rd. Checking the availability tool, it looks like some addresses both North and South of 23rd on Dolores are now eligible - login and see if you've won the fiber lottery!

Unfortunately, my address is not one of them... :(

These pics are from either end of the block - the fiber seems to be there, it just needs drops. Anyone from sonic have any info?
@dane @miken @mike.perlas @m.harmon @dct @anybody???

by jason13 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:15 pm
One more update for my Dolores peoples:

16 months later... Sonic fiber is now live at my address on Dolores near 22nd!

FYI - Checked my upgrade eligibility myself - I still haven't gotten any notification from Sonic...
by tomfilmyer » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:12 pm
I've seen that fiber is available on 18th St to the east of Dolores. Any information on availability in the 3800 block of 18th St between Church and Castro?
37 posts Page 4 of 4