Fiber gap between Mission and Noe Valley

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
37 posts Page 3 of 4
by Rtechie32 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:45 pm
dane wrote:If you are getting door-hangars or other marketing material, but the website doesn't show available service, we've got an issue. What's the address of the building?
4300 block of 19th Street in the Castro here. We'd heard of Sonic Fiber from a friend, and were excited to when Sonic frisbees arrived in the mail. Plus, that unofficial map has our entire street in blue. But it's months later, and we remain unable to participate. Are the map and Sonic mailers just inaccurrate? Are they premature and we just need to continue to be patient?

Any direction or insight would be appreciated.

All the best in your efforts and progress....
by 27th St » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:53 pm
Hi Sonic,

Have been waiting to switch to Sonic, and fiber is only one block away!! But why not on 27th between Dolores and Guerrero? We have overground utilities, and a bunch of folks who'd love fiber... Are we on the roadmap at all?

Thank you!
by Rtechie32 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:19 pm
Forgot, my building number is 4316 19th Street
by steelgaze » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:32 pm
My best guess is that you live on the wrong side of Dolores. The overhead wires are not allowed to cross so that whole section from Dolores to Guerrero and down to san jose blocks that whole region from new overhang utilities.
by 27th St » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:47 am
Hi steelgaze,

I have often thought that I was on the wrong side of Dolores, but for different reasons... I understand the reasoning that overground should maybe not cross over Dolores, but then how did it hop over on 26th St, just two (short) blocks over? Would it be possible to piggyback on whatever made that leap across the digital divide?

I am sure you all are inundated with requests daily, but it seems weird to consign an entire neighborhood to the fiber desert when it's actually part of both neighborhoods that you're currently rolling out fiber in... we are Mission Noe! And there are a ton of folks here and in the surrounding streets that would love fiber.
by steelgaze » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:35 am
26th doesn't hop over Dolores. 26 is likely connected by a N/S run along south Van Ness.

They are most likely not allowed to run overhanging lines on:

Cesar Chavez
Deloroes
Mission
Guerero
San Jose

All these blocks basically surround you, and unless Sonic plans to underground an intersection (which will cost them a lot to do), I don't think yhour little island will get sonic fiber.
by Rtechie32 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:32 pm
After resding these board postings more thoroughly, I believe I've come to understand, at length, that my question about availability can't really be answered. Or at least the corportate line, which seems perflectly plausible, is that conditions on the ground preclude, in many or most cases, providing a timeline for availability specific to any given address. Apparently, there are numerous and varied obstacles to proving access, and Sonic only becomes aware of the specific hurdles as they encounter them. So it is irresponsible to suggest availability of fiber for a potential customer, or even whloe streets, before Sonic engineers "dig in" and evaluate each location.

All of which makes that unofficial map all the more of a mixed blessing for Sonic and potential customers. Even though that web page clearly announces the shortcomings of its data, the implications too easily derived from those bold blue lines encourage premature anticipation. Probably a case of seeing what we, or at least I, wanted to see, being the most agreeable interpretation. Patience.
by jason13 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:14 pm
dane wrote:Sorry I didn’t get to this over the weekend. Initially we had missed these alley poles and I have sent them to engineering to see if we can attach. Quane between 22nd and 23rd can be fed aerially from 22nd. I just don’t know if the poles fail or are impacted in any way yet. If all works out with the engineering, we’ll move forward with adding this block to the network.
Checking back on this again. I know you can't give any timelines, but any word from engineering if this is in progress, failed, etc - looking for any info - I'd take smoke signals at this point... :)
by jason13 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:58 am
Pinging this again, Dane.

Any word from engineering on these poles? They don't look overloaded - all they currently carry on Quane st. is phone. Cable and electric are undergrounded on Dolores.

Seeing fiber going into houses right around the corner on 23rd. is torture. Any updates are greatly appreciated.
by steelgaze » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:46 am
It's better to think of overloaded pole replacement time in years. They are not a danger to the public, but just cant support new cables. I'd guess that unless there's a major change needed by the pole operator, they will replace it to support new service. Otherwise it's purgatory with new service.
37 posts Page 3 of 4