sonic email only still available?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by ajhaig » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:45 pm
I'd like to have email only from sonic - is this still available?
by amayfield » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:10 pm
Yes, existing customers can downgrade to email only. To get that done just call over to Support at 888.766.4233.
Andrew M.
Community & Escalations Manager
Sonic
by dherr » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:01 am
I currently have FTTN X1 plus two domains of "DNS-only hosting service." at $1.95 per domain.

I will be moving out of the state soon and plan to keep the DNS hosting with Sonic.

Would my monthly Sonic bill be just the two $1.95 charges, or is there some other maintenance fee to keep my account active once the connectivity service is canceled?
by miken » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:26 am
dherr wrote:I currently have FTTN X1 plus two domains of "DNS-only hosting service." at $1.95 per domain.

I will be moving out of the state soon and plan to keep the DNS hosting with Sonic.

Would my monthly Sonic bill be just the two $1.95 charges, or is there some other maintenance fee to keep my account active once the connectivity service is canceled?
No maintenance fee! If all you wanted was access to your main sonic email and two DNS services, you'd be looking at $3.90 a month. Additional mailboxes would increase the pricing though. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want to look into specifics with your account.
Mike N.
Development Trainer
Sonic
by dherr » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:19 am
Well, it turns out that I am not looking at $3.90 per month. Maybe it was not clear enough, but I don't have any need for any paid email service. My new bill is now $3.90 plus $6.00 per month for "Basic Email Service". That is what I was asking about regarding a "maintenance fee".

And in that year I also moved registrar service over to Sonic for those two domains. The good news is that this service will continue and I will even be able to maintain my ~dherr member login to maintain the registration. But even tho Sonic will keep my account login they will not allow me to keep the $1.95 DNS hosting for the domains without adding the unneeded email service.

Total bummer. I will start looking at alternate DNS hosting (with email aliases). The $6.00 per month additional might not be a really unreasonable charge for this but I don't like to feel that I am being played with, so will see if I can move everything off of Sonic.
by dherr » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:22 am
And the verdict is...

Switching my two domains over to https://www.namecheap.com/

As with many of the options for registrar, they offer free DNS hosting and easy editing for domains. You don't even need to use them as a registrar to get the free DNS hosting. They also do the email forwarding rules that I need and have a simple dynamic DNS function. So I get to save both the $6.00 added monthly fee *and* the $3.90 monthly for my two domains.

Once both are switched over I won't have much excuse to follow the groups. It has been fun.

P.S. Regarding connectivity. If you happen to move to the Klamath basin in Oregon and you are within the service area of Fireserve, I can recommend them. There is not much choice up here but they do a great job. Getting 20Mbit / 20Mbit via WISP, at just under 10 miles from the antenna array that I am pointing at.
by mediahound » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:15 am
Congrats on the move!

-Mediahound aka Tristan
7 posts Page 1 of 1