Sonic Fiber Download Only ~10Mbs but Upload is 750 plus!?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by gregorylang8 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:35 am
Hey guys, so I'm very confused and wondering if I have something set up wrong on my end. The last couple days I've been running into very slow speeds. I've ran multiple speed tests to find that my download is only hitting 10Mbs but my upload is sky high. Any suggestions to help troubleshoot and fix?

Thanks,

Greg
by mike.perlas » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:59 pm
That's a pretty big discrepancy. Try launching your computer in safe mode with networking. Speed test again and see if the results change!
Mikey P.
Technical Support Supervisor
Sonic
by pockyken007 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:39 pm
gregorylang8 wrote:Hey guys, so I'm very confused and wondering if I have something set up wrong on my end. The last couple days I've been running into very slow speeds. I've ran multiple speed tests to find that my download is only hitting 10Mbs but my upload is sky high. Any suggestions to help troubleshoot and fix?

Thanks,

Greg

Hello Greg , and welcome to the forums !

Can you run speedtest.net and post a screenshot of the speeds you are getting ?
Can you run pingtest.net and post a screenshot of that test as well ?
Were you ever able to get gigabit speeds and the slow down happen suddenly ?
Did you already restart your ONT ?
Did you already restart your modem / router ?
Do you have any other devices attached to the modem ?
Can you do a test of skipping the modem and just running the cable straight from the ONT to the computer directly then run speedtest / pingtest ?
Is your NIC capable of gigabit speeds and if so is it set to receive gigabit speeds ? ( go to network connections > select the interface you are connecting with ( i assume wired ) it should be named Local Area Connection ( or Ethernet ) > right click on the connection > select properties > click on configure > advanced > scroll down to speed and duplex > and check the value in the box it could be set to " auto negotiate " or " 1 Gbps full duplex ".
Also confirm that you are running at bare minimum CAT5 , CAT5e or CAT6 cable ?
by dane » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:50 pm
Your Ethernet interface wouldn't happen to be a USB or Firewire connected dongle, would it?

Also, any "optimization" software or setup on the Ethernet? Those are often a source of slowdowns.

Oh, one last thought: antivirus software on the PC can really slow things down.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by pockyken007 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:24 pm
dane wrote:Your Ethernet interface wouldn't happen to be a USB or Firewire connected dongle, would it?

Also, any "optimization" software or setup on the Ethernet? Those are often a source of slowdowns.

Oh, one last thought: antivirus software on the PC can really slow things down.

Good Points Dane I totally forgot about those :oops: :oops: :oops:
by pockyken007 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:00 pm
Any update on this >?
6 posts Page 1 of 1