Showing Neighborhood Support for fiber

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by rforrest » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:50 am
Hi,

Looking at these forum, I think there is a good chance fiber may come to my neighborhood in the next year or so.

I was wondering what the best way to demonstrate neighborhood to Sonic. There are several neighbors that have sonic DSL and would switch, of course. There are also a lot of folks that have Comcast, hate it, and would switch in an instant. How do we signal to Sonic that we should be next?
by dane » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:21 am
rforrest wrote:Hi,

Looking at these forum, I think there is a good chance fiber may come to my neighborhood in the next year or so.

I was wondering what the best way to demonstrate neighborhood to Sonic. There are several neighbors that have sonic DSL and would switch, of course. There are also a lot of folks that have Comcast, hate it, and would switch in an instant. How do we signal to Sonic that we should be next?
We weight our construction priorities toward areas with more existing Sonic members, so your best bet would be to encourage them to join.

Additionally, the more overall members Sonic has, the faster we can build more fiber. Scale is really our only limiting factor at this point.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Kevin22 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:08 am
I call B.S., Dane. I have been an existing customer for at least 3 years and my address is squarely in the fiber build-out zone (on Lake Street) with no structural impediments to Sonic offering me fiber broadband (we have aerial power lines and people on the cross streets have service). Yet your company refuses to build out fiber to my address.

Not only will I not encourage others to sign up for the current level of service, but I am not far from canceling my Sonic service.
by dane » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:54 am
Kevin22 wrote:I call B.S., Dane. I have been an existing customer for at least 3 years and my address is squarely in the fiber build-out zone (on Lake Street) with no structural impediments to Sonic offering me fiber broadband (we have aerial power lines and people on the cross streets have service). Yet your company refuses to build out fiber to my address.

Not only will I not encourage others to sign up for the current level of service, but I am not far from canceling my Sonic service.
In both the Sunset and Richmond districts, we initially built the North/South Avenues, plus some necessary backbone route East/West to serve them. We did not build the majority of the "streets", which go East to West. The primary reason for this was density: the number of homes per distance of street is lower than on the avenues, and we were unsure about how much uptake we would see and if it would be financially viable.

So, please do stick with us. We are building just as fast as we can at our current scale.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
4 posts Page 1 of 1