Expansion area plans

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by Urzababa » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:03 am
I am posting as a guest. I live on the peninsula and wanted to know when/if Sonic plans to expand its service here, specifically to Belmont. What can i do, as a customer/citizen, to get service from Sonic in my area. Thank you.
by dane » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:15 am
Urzababa wrote:I am posting as a guest. I live on the peninsula and wanted to know when/if Sonic plans to expand its service here, specifically to Belmont. What can i do, as a customer/citizen, to get service from Sonic in my area. Thank you.
For competitive reasons, we are no longer providing any projections on future network construction plans. We have a lot of new network in process, but until we are ready to take orders for service, we'll keep those plans private.

As for what one can do: our expansion is at this point only limited by our membership size. The more people become or remain Sonic members, the further the network build can go, and the faster. Today, 20% of Sonic members are on our gigabit fiber. And as we continue to expand both in size and network reach, we are excited to continue to push that reach to more and more of our membership, in more and more cities.

So as for what you can do, become a member, and spread the word about what we are doing to folks you know. If they can get fiber today, that's great, but the copper delivered and fiber to the node (FTTN) products all help us with the financial foundation to continue and accelerate fiber expansion.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Urzababa » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:00 pm
What does 'become a member' mean? Is it the same as becoming a customer? Because, as I mention, Sonic currently is not in my area. Basically, how does one become a member? Thank you
by steelgaze » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:15 pm
Yes. it means being a salesman and pitching the service to people you know, or dont and if they sign up, it slightly increases chances of it coming to the location.
by Urzababa » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:33 pm
Ok. So, 'liking' Sonic on facebook, mentioning it in places like Nextdoor, bringing it up at city council meetings... That sort of thing?
by steelgaze » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:39 pm
Those are nice, but if they dont result in 'sign ups', it doesnt increase the chances of sonic expanding fiber to your location.
by dane » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:50 pm
Urzababa wrote:What does 'become a member' mean? Is it the same as becoming a customer? Because, as I mention, Sonic currently is not in my area. Basically, how does one become a member? Thank you
We offer an array of services, one of which is likely to be available to most locations. Check here: http://sonic.com/availability

But also, as steelgaze mentions, it's about spreading the word. The larger Sonic gets, the faster and further we can finance fiber network construction. The goal is to reach everyone, as quickly as possible, and uptake is the only real limiter now.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
7 posts Page 1 of 1