Reviving a ZXDSL 831 modem?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by yw928lm » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:15 pm
I have the same Sonic DSL service I've had for years, and the same ZTE ZXDSL 831 modem, which has the date 2011 on it. It was getting a little flaky, but I got it connected again by rebooting or unplugging and replugging it. I'm trying to get back online after 3 weeks of home renovations, and it's not working. The "Internet" light flashes for a few seconds after the modem powers up, but then nothing. I did drop the modem while moving stuff around.

Any ideas about what I can try? What I can use if this modem is a goner? I tried to plug my laptop directly to the modem by Ethernet but couldn't connect with the IP addresses in the manual. Maybe I was doing it wrong. Any help on this would be great. Thanks.
by mike.perlas » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:19 pm
Sorry this post didn't get addressed earlier! I ran a test on your line and didn't see any flagrant faults. It may be best to opt into our rental program so that we get you a new modem. Sounds like it was about time for that modem to be replaced anyways!
Mikey P.
Technical Support Supervisor
Sonic
by moogra » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:50 am
I revived mine a couple years ago - I found that some of the capacitors used in the DC-DC converters were dried out, so the regulated supplies were noisy. Once I replaced them the modem was back up and running! There are test-points on the PCB for the different power rails, and you can look at it with an oscilloscope.

If you're on ADSL I recommend the DM111PSP - they might still have them at bestbuy. I used it while I futzed around with the ZX831.

I've upgraded to VDSL now, so I had to ditch the zx831 unfortunately.
3 posts Page 1 of 1