AT&T guy just told me that "AT&T owns Sonic.net" … Umm, no.

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by HomeLand » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:13 pm
A door-to-door dude just came to the house to tell me about how they've "recently upgraded fiber in your neighborhood," assuming that I was an AT&T customer (and when I said that I wasn't, assumed that I was on Comcast … blecch). When I said that I had left AT&T to go to Sonic.net for twice as much speed, lower price, and higher reliability (all of which have proven true!), he said, "Oh, we own them."

I made sure the he knew that wasn't the case, and if they were to acquire Sonic, I'd be looking for a new ISP.
by pockyken007 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:26 pm
HomeLand wrote:A door-to-door dude just came to the house to tell me about how they've "recently upgraded fiber in your neighborhood," assuming that I was an AT&T customer (and when I said that I wasn't, assumed that I was on Comcast … blecch). When I said that I had left AT&T to go to Sonic.net for twice as much speed, lower price, and higher reliability (all of which have proven true!), he said, "Oh, we own them."

I made sure the he knew that wasn't the case, and if they were to acquire Sonic, I'd be looking for a new ISP.
LOL ATT getting desperate LOL
by steelgaze » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:54 pm
It's remotely true. If the Sonic service is delivered over the FTTN option, AT&T does sorta own the lines that the service is being delivered.
It's probably the sales agent trying to blow smoke up your ass, and switch over to the death star.
by dane » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:33 am
Yep, that's a sales tactic. The rep says that they own us so that they can then say you're not switching to another carrier if you just adopt the package he is offering. The goal is to confuse you into accepting what they're selling, and clearly it's a scam.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Fred » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:35 am
Is this still the case? The installation email I just received from Sonic says:
"Ensure that telephone jacks and computer equipment are accessible. AT&T technicians will not move furniture."
by dane » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:16 pm
Fred wrote:Is this still the case? The installation email I just received from Sonic says:
"Ensure that telephone jacks and computer equipment are accessible. AT&T technicians will not move furniture."
For the Fusion IP Broadband service, AT&T provides the wholesale connection to Sonic, which we resell. This is different that Fusion, where Sonic rents only the copper wires and provides all electronics, and Fusion Fiber, where Sonic owns and manages the entire connection, including the fiber all the way to every home.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bealem » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:03 pm
Just had ATT guy at an ATT store say the same thing to a friend, who doesn’t know any better.

ATT does not own sonic.
Sonic has fast internet though fiber.
ATT has slow internet through telephone wires.

Sonic resells att telephone wire, when it can’t get fiber to your home, yet.

It’s unfair of ATT to spread misinformation, as a sales tactic.
by medina4470 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:00 pm
bealem wrote: ATT has slow internet through telephone wires.
AT&T technically has their own FTTH which supports Sonic’s IPBB service for fiber. But, AT&T definitely doesn’t own Sonic. :lol:
by mike2460 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:34 am
Fred wrote: "Ensure that telephone jacks and computer equipment are accessible. AT&T technicians will not move furniture."
I have AT&T internet service as well, and Sonic collects the payment. Sonic is selling us AT&T service. For a lower price than AT&T would sell it by the way.
9 posts Page 1 of 1