Products and Pricing

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
14 posts Page 1 of 2
by Nicole Perdue » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:15 pm
I'm in the market to switch to a new ISP so I'm in the process of comparison shopping. Unfortunately I can't find internet only products and prices on your website. On the front page I clicked the "Shop Now" button under "For Home" and I was presented with three options. Internet & Phone, Television and Web Hosting. I do not need Phone, Television or Web Hosting so I clicked Internet and Phone. What I found was one product offered for an internet and phone bundle for 39.99 and nothing else.

I have a regular land-line for emergencies and have no desire for a VOIP phone service. One of my biggest fears is that I'll be struck down by something that will leave me unable to speak (choking, anaphylactic shock that constricts the airway or unconsciousness come readily to mind) and since I'm home alone with my five year old daughter for many hours during the day, the last thing I want is to be fumbling with trying to have her try and relay where we are to a 911 dispatcher. Irrational? Probably, but it eases my mind so I'm going to stick with it until VOIP phone service is proven to be just as reliable with 911 services as a traditional land line. I use paid netflix and free hulu for my TV needs and I pay $45 a month for ATT Uverse internet only. (I do not subscribe to Uverse TV or phone services)

What I want to know is if you offer unbundled Internet service plans, what would your price points for various bandwidth tiers be? Like everyone else, I'm in the market to find better speeds for less money and I'm willing to switch providers to get it. I used to have an account with you many years ago when I lived in the area but had to switch to ATT when I moved down to Novato. I stayed with them even after I moved back here but since the times are putting a vice-like squeeze on our pocketbook, I'm looking for a better deal and recalled that for the six or so years we used sonic.net as our ISP, I was pleased with your service.

Current speeds as tested at speedtest.net: 11.53Mbps down, 1.47Mbps up, Ping 31ms
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1834635256.png
by toast0 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:34 pm
Nicole,

The internet and phone bundle (aka Fusion aka ADSL2+) includes POTS service, it's not VOIP, and it's not available unbundled. If you put in your phone number it will tell you if you're eligible for that or not; if not, you are still likely available for ADSL1 which requires an AT&T landline. Pricing on that is available here http://www.sonic.net/sales/broadband/ds ... ential.php (or will show up if you try to qualify for Fusion and it's not available). Click details to see what the rate will be after 12 months.

(Not an employee, just a customer)
by Nicole Perdue » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:21 am
Fusion is available to me but I'm having trouble figuring out if it will be more cost effective over time than what I have now. Currently I have an ATT basic landline (no longdistance):

Monthly Service - Feb 25 thru Mar 24 $13.62
Local Usage $0.00
Surcharges and Other Fees $5.02
Government Fees and Taxes $1.53
Total Charges $20.17

And ATT Uverse Internet:

AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet Max
2Wire 3800HGVB Uverse Router
Built-in wireless home networking
12Mbps down, 1.5Mbps up (Actual from speedtest)
Total Charges $48.00

Total paid for landline and internet combined: $68.17

According to the fusion page here, I'm about 9,387 feet from the local serving office. I'm not sure what that means for me in terms of speed, but if I could get around 12Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up, WiFi that can support two laptops, PS3 and a Wii, as well as two physical ports for two desktop computers as well as a land line that could get my address up on a 911 dispatchers screen just by dialing in, no talking required... all for 39.99. I'd be sold and would switch in a heartbeat.
by jmunowitch » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:22 am
It is 39.99+taxes. My total Fusion bill comes out to about $52.24 after taxes on the phone line.
by dane » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:16 am
Nicole Perdue wrote:Fusion is available to me but I'm having trouble figuring out if it will be more cost effective over time than what I have now. Currently I have an ATT basic landline (no longdistance):
According to the fusion page here, I'm about 9,387 feet from the local serving office. I'm not sure what that means for me in terms of speed, but if I could get around 12Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up, WiFi that can support two laptops, PS3 and a Wii, as well as two physical ports for two desktop computers as well as a land line that could get my address up on a 911 dispatchers screen just by dialing in, no talking required... all for 39.99. I'd be sold and would switch in a heartbeat.
Fusion will certainly be a savings for you of nearly $20/mo, and on the telephone side, a superior product. It's plain old telephone service (POTS) land line, with e911 and all the goodies such as nationwide calling, voicemail, etc.

On the data side though, at that distance you are likely to see about 5Mbps. See the rate/reach chart here: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r269108 ... ance-chart

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Socal Fusion Wannabe » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:09 pm
jmunowitch wrote:It is 39.99+taxes. My total Fusion bill comes out to about $52.24 after taxes on the phone line.
This concerns me. How much of the Fusion bill is considered "phone" that the bill yields $12.25 in taxes?
Or is this just an exceptionally tax-happy district you live in?
by wa2ibm » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:06 am
On Fusion service, half is deemed for phone, half for internet access. The taxes and fees are dictated by the state, county, and city that you're in and are about the same with either Sonic or AT&T.
by virtualmike » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:51 am
And many cities love to add taxes to phone bills because most people don't pay attention to them, and in some jurisdictions, it doesn't require a vote of the citizens.
by dane » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:56 am
You can find per-city tax total estimates and a lot of other details here: http://www.sonic.net/solutions/home/int ... es#example
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by jmunowitch » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:07 am
Socal Fusion Wannabe wrote:
jmunowitch wrote:It is 39.99+taxes. My total Fusion bill comes out to about $52.24 after taxes on the phone line.
This concerns me. How much of the Fusion bill is considered "phone" that the bill yields $12.25 in taxes?
Or is this just an exceptionally tax-happy district you live in?
San Francisco: $12.26

So, yes, one could call my city Tax Happy. I don't necessarily agree with that assessment though.
14 posts Page 1 of 2