VPN on Chromebooks

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by randypon » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:15 pm
Anyone figure out how to implement the Sonic VPN service on Chromebooks? There is OpenVPN support on Chromebooks, but looks like you only can enter the settings manually, which I don't have. Any help would be much appreciated. Official tech support only supports Windows and IOS OS.
by rtrinh » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:24 pm
Can you install the android app on your Chromebook?

Otherwise I believe all of the settings and certs you need will come from the client.ovpn file you can get at the bottom of the list "Yourself (user-locked profile)" at https://ovpn.sonic.net/.
by drew.phillips » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:44 pm
Short of logging in as root and running the OpenVPN client manually, the last I heard the only way to get the connection working for a non-privileged user is to follow the steps from the document linked here: https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/ho ... nual-setup

But we do not support this configuration nor can we confirm that it will work when all the steps are followed and if there will be any information leaks either via DNS, WebRTC or some other possible hole.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
by duigou » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:01 pm
This is an old question but on the chance that someone finds it in a search there is a better solution in 2021. As of February 2021 the ChromeOS built-in OpenVPN client still does not work with the Sonic.net VPN. You can install either the 'OpenVPN for Android' or 'OpenVPN Connect' from the Play Store and use that. Both work fine and according to the "Astrill VPN Leak Test" the VPN client is safe from DNS and WebRTC leaks.
4 posts Page 1 of 1