Port Forwarding Issues

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by beckychase10 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:33 pm
Hello everyone! I am trying to set up Wake On LAN on port 9, and it works perfectly locally.

Now what really is my issue is that when it goes remote/outside the network, .....is where it inevitably dies in a pit of unholy fire.

Before you read what I have to say without ANY MISTAKES:

-My PC is DEFINITELY fully configured to work with Wake on LAN, and have spent nearly 3 hours like a OCD manic double checking every setting in BIOS, Device Manager, and Firewall etc. And REMEBER! It worked through port 9 LOCALLY!!!!

-My router is a EA7500 AC1900. It may be a UNSUPPORTED device, but again. The WAKE ON LAN packet can be sent perfectly on the LOCAL network. And yes! I tried port forwarding 7 AND 9!

-What I suspect as the culprit is either something on Sonic's end, a broken ONT, or I need to get back a stock Sonic router, which I WILL do if required, but this would be highly unlikely, and you can find out below.

Basically, I got wake on LAN to work without fail on the local network with port 9 enabled. Port 7 as well. But when I went outside of the network and sent a packet through Sonic to my Router, it failed. I asked Sonic if they can manually adjust the "port" on their modem because I don't know what the modem for it even was, and they replied that it has to be my router's fault, because it was enabled. And I would later find out the ONT is the literal modem. So then I talked to my router manufacturer and tested ports 7 and 9, and came up with "Ports Closed" with both the router's Ethernet and the Ethernet cable coming from the ONT. Restarting said ONT came up empty. Linksys says the IP is not public, and something is blocking it because of a Double NAT, then proceeded to ask me to ask Sonic to enable Full Bridge Mode on the ONT. Then I called Sonic to troubleshoot the ONT and help me figure out why the heck was both the ONT and Router blocking my port forward, and he said that the ONT "checked out fine", and did the same thing four times. Each time, port forwarding would fail on port 7 and 9. Both router and ONT directly. I used http://canyouseeme.org/ to check for every time if the port forward went through. Eventually the tech gave up and told me to post here.

What I really want to know also as a side note, is that if the ONT is directly connected to a device, and tested on http://canyouseeme.org/ , would the port show up as open? Because the ONT is meant to let all ports EXCEPT PORT 25 though from what I gathered from the agent.
by drew.phillips » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:14 pm
If you haven't already, I'd highly suggest reading the entire Wikipedia entry on Wake-on-LAN.

One of the caveats mentioned is that it may not work outside of the local network. I also suspect that your port forward is only for TCP, while WoL uses UDP. The canyouseeme test is only looking at TCP, not UDP which also explains why it wouldn't see the port as being open. Can you confirm if the port forward is on TCP port 9 or UDP?
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
by beckychase10 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:39 pm
drew.phillips wrote:If you haven't already, I'd highly suggest reading the entire Wikipedia entry on Wake-on-LAN.

One of the caveats mentioned is that it may not work outside of the local network. I also suspect that your port forward is only for TCP, while WoL uses UDP. The canyouseeme test is only looking at TCP, not UDP which also explains why it wouldn't see the port as being open. Can you confirm if the port forward is on TCP port 9 or UDP?
Port forward is on UDP. And both from the router and ONT checked and failed on every port I tried, even for https, port 7 on TCP, even random ports. And Wake On LAN does work outside the local network if the port forward worked and sent the packet. And by the way, I did read that page. Though how people interpret "May not work" is another matter, because if someone else can make this work, then the real question is, then why did I check with my router's support to make sure they have nothing blocking the magic packet, tested ports on Sonic's direct cable and still failed all tests on both random ports and known ports to be open? I am more or less annoyed and enormously confused on why such a simple port forward turned into a disaster.

The real caveat is what in hell is blocking my port forward.

If you give me a list of ports to try and run as well as a reliable port testing website for both UDP and TCP. I will gladly do so. Thanks.
by drew.phillips » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:53 pm
I suspect some of the reasons it won't work is because some router don't allow port forwards to a broadcast address. You've probably seen this as well but it's a good resource too: http://www.wolcenter.com/faq.php

Can you screenshot the port forward rule each place it's set up?

I have no idea if this would work through or device but there are a few different places things could be failing. Googling for "linksys wake on lan wan" reveals a lot of people struggling to get it working with mixed results and workarounds, though none of the posts are super recent.
Drew Phillips
Programmer / System Operations, Sonic.net
by beckychase10 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:40 pm
drew.phillips wrote:I suspect some of the reasons it won't work is because some router don't allow port forwards to a broadcast address. You've probably seen this as well but it's a good resource too: http://www.wolcenter.com/faq.php

Can you screenshot the port forward rule each place it's set up?

I have no idea if this would work through or device but there are a few different places things could be failing. Googling for "linksys wake on lan wan" reveals a lot of people struggling to get it working with mixed results and workarounds, though none of the posts are super recent.
Well. I'm guessing I'll contact Linksys support again in the meantime.

But the ONT should still have open ports when I test it with TCP and UDP ports at least on port 443, I would like to know if that is at least normal.
by beckychase10 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:45 pm
Well. Issue kind of fixed. Port forwarding UDP port 9 and TCP port 7 didn't work, but on a celluar network, using UDP 555 worked. Still don't know why ports don't show up in that range.
by sonic guest » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:35 pm
beckychase10 wrote:The real caveat is what in hell is blocking my port forward.
Intermediate routers. You're lucky things work with another port.
7 posts Page 1 of 1