Don't want to pay for a phone line I never needed

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by sunsetmel » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:00 am
Just got 1 gigabit fiber Internet thanks to Sonic, and am very satisfied with the whole experience. The only sticker shock was when I saw the first month's receipt, which includes over $12 in federal and state taxes for the land line. I don't need the land line, find it completely redundant and hate having to pay all these taxes for an outdated technology I will never use. I sincerely hope Sonic gives members a way to opt out of the land line.
by atomicrelease » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:19 am
Yup, I don't use the phone line or their router, but I'm stuck paying for both. Still, it's cheaper and faster than Comcast, but it would be nice to be able to get rid of some of the extra fees for things that I'll never use.
by steelgaze » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:11 am
Part of Sonic's position is that they can charge you extra taxes they can pocket. It's somewhat documented on this forum if you dig around.

The other part of the reason is so they can also provide value. If you can find better value, or solely looking for a cheaper monthly bill, sign up for a different service. I would like to be offered a internet only plan, but if you look at the comparable google fiber, they charge 70 for just internet. The 70 or abouts Sonic charges also includes phone. It's really on you if you use it or not.
by Don Freeman » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:40 pm
atomicrelease wrote:Yup, I don't use the phone line or their router, but I'm stuck paying for both. Still, it's cheaper and faster than Comcast, but it would be nice to be able to get rid of some of the extra fees for things that I'll never use.
What about the physical hardware, (the router and the ATA)? I don't use the phone option so don't need the ATA, and I would like to buy my own router and send this one back. If I can't get rid of the phone taxes, I would like to send the physical equipment back and have the rental feels cancelled. I've seen used prices for the 5031INV at $30 and new ones for $89 to $129.
by formerTelco » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:32 am
I'm a little disappointed in you all. There is a cost to doing business. If you cheap cheap cheap the company, then they wonder why they're in business. There is a huge cost to running a business. You take it for granted that you only want to pay for "what you want". But what you want relies on a large investment in infrastructure to bring you the business. Next time you walk on the sidewalk, drive your car on the road, turn on your water faucet - understand that a lot of people have invested a lot in infrastructure and paying it forward. Please realize this and appreciate it. You'd be shocked if you really had to pay the REAL cost of an item. I worked for regulated utility company for 25 years. We had to eat the actual cost of doing business and could only charge the agreed regulated rate. You really are a sheltered spoiled people.

Sorry moderator, I'm sure you'll censor this. But know that I understand the price of doing business and I am willing to pay to keep good business like yours running. Keep up the good work!!!
by pockyken007 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:52 am
Don Freeman wrote:
atomicrelease wrote:Yup, I don't use the phone line or their router, but I'm stuck paying for both. Still, it's cheaper and faster than Comcast, but it would be nice to be able to get rid of some of the extra fees for things that I'll never use.
What about the physical hardware, (the router and the ATA)? I don't use the phone option so don't need the ATA, and I would like to buy my own router and send this one back. If I can't get rid of the phone taxes, I would like to send the physical equipment back and have the rental feels cancelled. I've seen used prices for the 5031INV at $30 and new ones for $89 to $129.

What service do you have form sonic ? Fiber ? FTTN ? DSL ?
6 posts Page 1 of 1