Comtrend fusion DSL CPE/"router"

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by ryanrawson » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:30 pm
Hey all,

I have the sonic fusion product - it's been great so far.

The real issue however is that the comtrend dual line modem seems to have issues with really pushing packets. While I can get a single or double stream of 25-40meg retrieval and it's ok. But when I run multiple downloading streams, something happens and the router appears to be unable to pass any more new TCP or UDP streams. Essentially the behavior is that while my downloads (I use a multi-TCP stream parallel downloader) are active, new connections just do not happen. Even UDP packets dont flow - so DNS is broken. Once some downloads finish, then all of a sudden the internets works again.

I've attempted to reset the modem, thinking it was some kind of temporary resource issue that needs to be cleared up, but that is not helping.

I had originally gotten the comtrend since it is the dual line and having 2 box instead of two seemed attractive. But now I'm realizing the firmware quality, and apparently the packet engine is just not up to par.

Is there any firmware updates I should have, or is there a dd-wrt version that I could install overtop?

In terms of versions, the router says I am running:
"D131-310CTU-C03_R01_4.5.5.37.A2pB025c1.d20l"
by ryanrawson » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:25 am
Oh yes, and I forgot to mention, I did all the "usuals", line rate syncing, I'm using hardware ethernet on an extremely beefy box, I know what is using the network, etc. So no "mystery roommate torrent" problem here!
by dane » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:38 am
The firmware version you are running is the most current available at this time.

I would suggest trying the unit in bridge mode instead of routing, making it a more transparent device to see if this helps with the issue. Please let us know the outcome of your testing!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ryanrawson » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:50 pm
ok so its a long time later, and this is still a huge problem. The comtrend gets into a wedged state, it wont pass traffic, but i can telnet to the admin port and reboot it (first prompt after TCP connect takes a minute or so).

I think i am going to switch to a pfsense device, nice and solid-state/low power. Oh yeah, also the comtrend is only 100 meg on the switch (!). Yeah I know the internets isn't that fast, but I have local networking needs.

Finally, is there a super low power/embedded-like dual line DSL modem?
by dane » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:10 pm
The ZyXel dual-line bonding modem/router is the only other unit we've got any experience with. That would be my suggestion if the Comtrend is giving you issues.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ryanrawson » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:38 pm
I don't think its the line rate that's giving me problems, but I think the NAT state table is undersized or something... I can push 4MB/sec for a long time as long as its only 1 or 2 TCP streams. But as soon as I run too many TCP streams things seem to get wacky. For example, download accelerators that use many TCP streams can trigger things.

I think the ZyXel might be overkill for me... I'm also power sensitive.
6 posts Page 1 of 1