Fiber in the Mission SF

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
12 posts Page 1 of 2
by ozanserim » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:50 pm
Excited to see that fiber is becoming available in the Mission. Frustratingly, it's available for our neighbors but not yet available at our house. The wait in unbearable. Any chance we can get fiber at our house? Our 3 units are eager to signup. It's just a few feet down from the neighbors!

-Hopeful residents in the Mission.
by dane » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:57 pm
Are your utilities served from the same line as the neighbor's?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by HDTVBG » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:40 pm
Is there a map available showing what streets will be served by the Mission District Fiber expansion . . . and when ?

We live in the Excelsior District; three blocks off Mission on Ney and have the dual line Fusion.

Since we are over 7,000 feet from a C.O., even the 2X Fusion only delivers 11.4 Mbps down and 1.8 Mbps up , so we are eager to see Fiber to the Home deliver the bandwidth we were promised when we signed up over a year ago.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide . . .
by HDTVBG » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:02 pm
Wow, I spoke too soon, now our 2X Fusion is only delivering 7.5 Mbps, so we are paying a 25% increase for a 40% decrease in speed. Not happy.

I found a map, not of homes passed by Sonic Fiber but rather showing where the permits indicate Fiber will be pulled.

Check this out -- https://thatdan.github.io/sonic_fiber/

Sadly, we are in the wrong C.O. and won't get Fiber during this next round of roll-outs in the Mission District.
by kyle.depasquale » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:37 am
Keep in mind that this map does not show even close to the entire area where Fiber will be served. My home is in the deployment zone, per sonic's availability checker, but there's not a single permit listed yet for my area. That map is far from a complete picture of what the entire deployment zone will be.
by joeyyung911 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:44 am
I'm in Excelsior (near Crocker) also and I couldn't justify the product you're paying for. Luckily, I'm getting 30mbps at X2, but just missed the the VDSL mark according to the reps (4145ft). Hopefully by November when my contract ends, there's some good news. But man, I miss Comcast's 200+mbps speed!!
by HDTVBG » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:57 pm
kyle.depasquale wrote:Keep in mind that this map does not show even close to the entire area where Fiber will be served. My home is in the deployment zone, per sonic's availability checker, but there's not a single permit listed yet for my area. That map is far from a complete picture of what the entire deployment zone will be.
Yes of course, my understanding is that the map will be updated over time as permits are pulled. Remember though that it does not mean fiber is there yet, just a permit. Not perfect, but certainly more info than Sonic is willing to provide.

Meanwhile, after several days of emails with some very snarky Tech Support folk my speed has been restored to 12 Mbps over WiFi (14 Mbps at the demarc) after they took it upon themselves to cap my line for some arcane tech nonsense reasons, something about protecting against attenuation on a hot line. Works fine now after reconditioning the line in spite of their huffy indignation that I caught them messing with my service. Bear in mind that 2X Fusion is advertised as "up to 40 Mbps" but you won't get anywhere near that in reality unless you live right next to one of Sonic's few San Francisco C.O.'s . .
by pockyken007 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:48 pm
100% of ISP will say up tp " XXX speed " when talking about the speed that will be delivered the upper limit ( in sonic case 40 mbps ) is what is achievable if you live close enough to the CO and the line conditions are perfect ... ( very rare instance ) and most of the users will experience the " up to " speeds meaning anything below 40 mbps ...

Attenuation on a hot line can cause signal interruptions on the line ( which would translate into intermittent service or no signal at all ) so it's not some " arcane mumbo jumbo " as you would like to think ... just because you don't know how things work doesn't mean you have to be ignorant about them , google things and educate yourself so you can better understand the product and how it works or alternatively remain ignorant and don't the choice is yours .
by HDTVBG » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:08 pm
Mind your own business troll clown, I see you are all over these forums harassing folks who are telling their stories. The only thing I'd like to educate myself on right now is how to block you so I don't have to read your self-righteous taunts.
by pockyken007 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:35 am
HDTVBG wrote:Mind your own business troll clown, I see you are all over these forums harassing folks who are telling their stories. The only thing I'd like to educate myself on right now is how to block you so I don't have to read your self-righteous taunts.

Ignorance is a bliss :lol: :lol: :lol:
12 posts Page 1 of 2