Sonic VPN Policies

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
19 posts Page 2 of 2
by kgc » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:01 pm
Well, it isn't just smoke and mirrors - it really does compress things. However, how much the compression helps, if any, is entirely dependent on if the contents of the packets are compressible. It won't help watching movies but may help browsing the web particularly if the sites you are visiting aren't compressing compressible contents.

Having this set to adaptive will cause openvpn to periodically sample the stream to see if it is compressible or not and respond appropriately.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by mediahound » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:41 pm
I'm just conflicted if I should use it or not because my router doesn't really support it so I have to use an app on my Mac (Viscosity) and the OpenVPN app on my iOS devices.
by TimeLord04 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:50 pm
mediahound wrote:
I'm just conflicted if I should use it or not because my router doesn't really support it so I have to use an app on my Mac (Viscosity) and the OpenVPN app on my iOS devices.

I tried using OpenVPN, (NOT through Sonic; I'm on the original U-Verse Internet Package at 50 Mb, FTTN), because I was having issues getting to certain and specific Web Sites. Turned out the Linksys AC900 was bad from out of the box, only found out a year into it's life, and I stopped using the OpenVPN. But, OpenVPN worked on my MAC OS 10.11.4 without incident.

Why do you say OpenVPN doesn't work on your MAC??? (BTW, replaced the defective Linksys with a TP-Link Router. Still connected behind the U-Verse NVG-599 Gateway. All is working as it should.)


TL
by mediahound » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:49 pm
miken wrote:

Our wholesale bulk agreement doesn't allow traffic monitoring - but they log allocated IPs for much longer than we do, so we provide free VPN for those who want to avoid that.



Do you know how long that is?
by sysops » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:12 pm
mediahound wrote:
miken wrote:

Our wholesale bulk agreement doesn't allow traffic monitoring - but they log allocated IPs for much longer than we do, so we provide free VPN for those who want to avoid that.



Do you know how long that is?


The AT&T Full Privacy Policy makes no mention of it, and it seems to be something they don't openly communicate, but this document https://www.aclu.org/files/pdfs/email-c ... RM-183.pdf seems to indicate around one year.

For Sonic FTTN subscribers, as far as I know, AT&T doesn't have the name, phone number or email address(es) associated with your Sonic account, but obviously they know the address where service is delivered.

If a subpoena is sought for your FTTN IP address it would be directed to AT&T who would be able to turn over your address as a result of the search which according to the document above is likely kept for at least one year.
Proud Sonic customer since 1999. Ask me about internet privacy, VPN, anonymity and security.
by mediahound » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:19 pm
sysops wrote:
mediahound wrote:
miken wrote:

Our wholesale bulk agreement doesn't allow traffic monitoring - but they log allocated IPs for much longer than we do, so we provide free VPN for those who want to avoid that.



Do you know how long that is?


The AT&T Full Privacy Policy makes no mention of it, and it seems to be something they don't openly communicate, but this document https://www.aclu.org/files/pdfs/email-c ... RM-183.pdf seems to indicate around one year.

For Sonic FTTN subscribers, as far as I know, AT&T doesn't have the name, phone number or email address(es) associated with your Sonic account, but obviously they know the address where service is delivered.

If a subpoena is sought for your FTTN IP address it would be directed to AT&T who would be able to turn over your address as a result of the search which according to the document above is likely kept for at least one year.



With the VPN used, would they have the same information? IE. a certain IP address they assigned being used by a certain address?
by sysops » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:28 pm
mediahound wrote:
sysops wrote:
mediahound wrote:


Do you know how long that is?


The AT&T Full Privacy Policy makes no mention of it, and it seems to be something they don't openly communicate, but this document https://www.aclu.org/files/pdfs/email-c ... RM-183.pdf seems to indicate around one year.

For Sonic FTTN subscribers, as far as I know, AT&T doesn't have the name, phone number or email address(es) associated with your Sonic account, but obviously they know the address where service is delivered.

If a subpoena is sought for your FTTN IP address it would be directed to AT&T who would be able to turn over your address as a result of the search which according to the document above is likely kept for at least one year.



With the VPN used, would they have the same information? IE. a certain IP address they assigned being used by a certain address?


If you were using the VPN (and your real IP address wasn't leaked or detected by some other means [which is a whole other discussion]), then the IP in question would be a Sonic IP address so you'd be subject to Sonic's logging policy. Based on comments from Sonic staff, the VPN logging policy matches that of the "Dynamic IP Assignment Logs" and are only kept for 14 days. In this case, they wouldn't even have your FTTN IP address or be able to correlate it to VPN usage.
Proud Sonic customer since 1999. Ask me about internet privacy, VPN, anonymity and security.
by mediahound » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:33 pm
sysops wrote:
mediahound wrote:
sysops wrote:

The AT&T Full Privacy Policy makes no mention of it, and it seems to be something they don't openly communicate, but this document https://www.aclu.org/files/pdfs/email-c ... RM-183.pdf seems to indicate around one year.

For Sonic FTTN subscribers, as far as I know, AT&T doesn't have the name, phone number or email address(es) associated with your Sonic account, but obviously they know the address where service is delivered.

If a subpoena is sought for your FTTN IP address it would be directed to AT&T who would be able to turn over your address as a result of the search which according to the document above is likely kept for at least one year.



With the VPN used, would they have the same information? IE. a certain IP address they assigned being used by a certain address?


If you were using the VPN (and your real IP address wasn't leaked or detected by some other means [which is a whole other discussion]), then the IP in question would be a Sonic IP address so you'd be subject to Sonic's logging policy. Based on comments from Sonic staff, the VPN logging policy matches that of the "Dynamic IP Assignment Logs" and are only kept for 14 days. In this case, they wouldn't even have your FTTN IP address or be able to correlate it to VPN usage.


Interesting. So AT&T wouldn't even have one of their IP addresses to the 'modem'? I don't understand how they can provide service to their 'modem' if they do not provide an IP address to it. When using the VPN, wouldn't AT&T still see their own IP address but just with the traffic encrypted or something?
by virtualmike » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:54 pm
mediahound wrote:
Interesting. So AT&T wouldn't even have one of their IP addresses to the 'modem'? I don't understand how they can provide service to their 'modem' if they do not provide an IP address to it. When using the VPN, wouldn't AT&T still see their own IP address but just with the traffic encrypted or something?

The server to which you connect while using VPN sees the IP address allocated to you by the VPN equipment. That address will be a Sonic IP address, because you connect to the server through the VPN.

Sonic's VPN server sees your AT&T IP address, however. Therefore, your risk is that during the period while Sonic retains the logs, an agent for the remote server provides a valid subpoena to Sonic, then Sonic can provide the contact information associated with your account, along with your AT&T IP address, to the requester.
19 posts Page 2 of 2

Who is online

In total there are 12 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 422 on Sat May 26, 2012 5:28 am

Users browsing this forum: berkinet and 11 guests