Any recommended modems instead of the Pace 5268ac

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
20 posts Page 1 of 2
by leefamily » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:39 pm
Hello. I have Sonic Fiber and was wondering if anyone here recommends a modem that is compatible with said service.
by kyle.depasquale » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:40 pm
Just to clarify, for Sonic Fiber, you'll want a router, not a modem - they're two very different devices. That being said, any standard router should work fine, the trick will be finding one that can support gigabit upload/download speeds which can be a bit difficult to find on consumer grade hardware.

If you do a search in these forums, people seem to have had good success with the ASUS RT-AC68U and the Netgear Nighthawk X10, among others.

I'm not yet on Sonic Fiber, but will be in the next couple of months, and I'm hoping that my Plume wireless setup will work well at gigabit speeds - or at least as well as Wifi can :)
by dane » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:46 pm
For best performance, full support integration and to avoid any truck-roll costs for maintenance and repair, just use the Sonic-provided equipment. It's $9.50/mo, which is reasonable when you consider that a WiFi AC router can cost $150, and a single technician visit can easily reach $100 or more.

We are also working toward a whole-home mesh WiFi solution that we could offer customers who want a solution for larger homes, outdoor coverage, etc.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by pockyken007 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:02 am
dane wrote:For best performance, full support integration and to avoid any truck-roll costs for maintenance and repair, just use the Sonic-provided equipment. It's $9.50/mo, which is reasonable when you consider that a WiFi AC router can cost $150, and a single technician visit can easily reach $100 or more.

We are also working toward a whole-home mesh WiFi solution that we could offer customers who want a solution for larger homes, outdoor coverage, etc.

Hey Dane If you guys need a test monkey for that solution I would love to be that guy if not do you have an ETA on when this service would be available ?
by dane » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:04 am
pockyken007 wrote:
dane wrote:For best performance, full support integration and to avoid any truck-roll costs for maintenance and repair, just use the Sonic-provided equipment. It's $9.50/mo, which is reasonable when you consider that a WiFi AC router can cost $150, and a single technician visit can easily reach $100 or more.

Hey Dane If you guys need a test monkey for that solution I would love to be that guy if not do you have an ETA on when this service would be available ?
Not yet, it's still in early product design. But clearly a whole-home mesh-WiFi solution is necessary for today's speed and coverage requirements, so it's something we are focused on.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by rado9292 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:43 am
I would rather pay the 150 for a better router. Is it still possible to use a different router than the Pace 5268AC and still have it work (Without the use our provided equipment for best service and support prompt)
by waxriot » Thu May 24, 2018 8:51 pm
I'm thinking of a non-wireless router, in case anyone can recommend.
by ngufra » Fri May 25, 2018 9:17 am
It may be more economical to get a wireless router and disable the wireless part as market and selection is much larger.

The Asus rt-68 seems decent. I have the rt-n66 at the moment, running Merlin but it's end of life so i will probably upgrade and probably to a rt-ac68.
by waxriot » Fri May 25, 2018 11:34 am
Thanks, the RT-AC68U at least is relatively expensive, ~$150, whereas Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite ERLITE-3 is ~$100 but hard to set up, and Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X is ~$55, also hard to set up and slow too. So I'm thinking of getting the '-3' and sending it back if I can't get it to work.
by ngufra » Fri May 25, 2018 2:51 pm
you could try the t-mo rebranded RT-AC1900 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075GYWPCJ
Refurbished $55

And reflash it with RT-AC68
20 posts Page 1 of 2