Place your bets, next city to get Sonic Fiber?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by SoTired » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:30 pm
So now that Sonic is collecting the extra $10/month that it says it needs in order to undertake an ambitious fiber expansion program, when do you think that Sonic will announce a new deployment city and what will it be? We can only guess because Sonic isn't saying anything and what it has said in the past has been wildly over-optimistic (anyone remember the Novato announcement?), but why not have some fun and see if we're feeling optimistic or pessimistic. It's already been six months since the increase was announced, so let's start counting from there. Seven months (i.e., one month from now)? One year? Two years? Never?
by TimeLord04 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:20 am
Well, I still have hopes for Danville to be done, (FTTH), BUT; realistically, from what I've read is that after San Francisco is done that San Jose is next by either AT&T or someone else. Most of the San Jose area has cabling run on poles; NOT underground like Danville, so NO micro-trenching needed. I have a friend that I got switched over to AT&T U-Verse last year and onto the FTTN 45Mb Internet and U-450 bundled package. His promotions just expired recently; so, I told him to contact U-Verse Customer Service and get a hold of "retention" and get changed down to U-300 TV Service, and, (if possible), get moved up to 50Mb Internet. (We're now on this service with U-Verse and are paying about $160 for the entire U-300 and 50Mb services. (Includes $10 HD TV Service.))

So, yeah, I think it will be San Jose that is next.
by SoTired » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:31 am
My guess is that Sonic is going to be fully consumed (financially and logistically) with the ongoing San Francisco deployment, and isn't going to add a new city for at least two years. There's still a lot of SF left to serve with Sonic fiber, it's a great market with high-income and tech-hungry residents, homes are very close together so less fiber-per-household to install, Sonic Fiber brand is well known in SF, and Sonic presumably has strong and effective governmental relationships. No reason for Sonic to go looking elsewhere when there is still so much opportunity in SF.

After SF? So far off that it's probably anyone's bet. Could be one of the previously-considered communities like Petaluma, or could be a high-income, high-ish density, tech hungry place like Palo Alto.
3 posts Page 1 of 1