Problems with Sonic FTTN install

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by amitoda » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:30 pm
I ordered Sonic FTTN as an upgrade from vanilla Fusion DSL, but the experience so far has been disastrous, to put it mildly. On the expected day, last Friday afternoon, the ATT technician turned up with not a clue as to how to set up the service for Sonic customers. He spent 4 hours, mostly on phone with various ATT and Sonic tech support to walk him through the steps. Finally, after 4 hours, the DSL line that used to have a sustained rate of 5 mbps with Fusion was syncing at 1.6 mbps with FTTN! And the telephone did not work, and is not working even now. The ATT tech told me that the line will reach its 20 mbps advertised rate after an hour or so, and with that he left, after leaving his card with me to call in case if there was any problem. He told me that they worked through weekends, and I can call any time.

The line has stayed at 1.6 mbps after more than 24 hours. The ATT technician has not answered my repeated calls. The Sonic tech support has said that nothing can be done till Monday. Meanwhile I have a internet connection that barely works, and no phone service! I am a long-standing customer of Sonic, and I stuck around all these times primarily for what used to be its exceptional service and customer focus. I am quite certain that Sonic is going to lose customers if it continues at this current level of service.
by rtrinh » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:12 pm
Are you trying to use the phone with the black and grey plastic box ATA Sonic sent you? With FTTN landline phone isn't like with the old DSL anymore.

I would have to say the issue here is with the ATT installer. When I had FTTN installed the ATT installer called for another ATT tech with a cherry picker to come and work on the telephone pole and the installer himself headed up to the sidewalk box to find some better pairs for me. It was a long install but the installer really was working to give be the best service.
by pockyken007 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:37 pm
Same here when I had my FTTN installed some time ago at two locations in San Francisco both times the installer spent around 2-3 hrs + to find the best possible pair for me ( I went with the bonded 50 mbps ) not only that but he triple checked everything before he left and made sure I was all up and running ( including the phone ) . At one of my locations he went as far as making a brand new drop to the house cause he couldn't find " good " line ... I am sorry that you are experiencing issues with your install but just like rtrinh said it looks like inexperienced installer from ATT :(
by Bryan Gros » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:38 am
I had my FTTN upgrade yesterday. Took a while--first installer hooked up the box inside the house, but had to call a line person to help. Line person came in about an hour, only messed with the wires outside the house as far as I could tell, and got it working. Then first guy had to come back to complete the "registration".

Took from 11am to 4pm, but all was working. Initial speed tests were 35 on installer's phone, 2 on my one laptop, and 10 on a second laptop. And upload speeds were consistently higher than download! (used to get a solid 4 on the Fusion service).

Today speeds are all up on the devices (10-15 usually). Netflix last night, however, did freeze a couple of times. Never did that on Fusion. Short freezes, hopefully won't be common.

Waiting for the phone number to port over now....
by pockyken007 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:23 am
Bryan Gros wrote:I had my FTTN upgrade yesterday. Took a while--first installer hooked up the box inside the house, but had to call a line person to help. Line person came in about an hour, only messed with the wires outside the house as far as I could tell, and got it working. Then first guy had to come back to complete the "registration".

Took from 11am to 4pm, but all was working. Initial speed tests were 35 on installer's phone, 2 on my one laptop, and 10 on a second laptop. And upload speeds were consistently higher than download! (used to get a solid 4 on the Fusion service).

Today speeds are all up on the devices (10-15 usually). Netflix last night, however, did freeze a couple of times. Never did that on Fusion. Short freezes, hopefully won't be common.

Waiting for the phone number to port over now....
I had to call Sonic to have my phone ported , the CS did it in less than 10 minutes it was pretty straight forward :)
5 posts Page 1 of 1