Pace 5268 as extender

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by billstreett » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:55 am
I have Sonic fiber service in my home with the Pace 5268 AC gateway but the WIFI connection is poor at the far end of my home. I would like to install an extender, using an existing Cat 6 ethernet line, that will interface well with my existing gateway and have minimal effect on my WIFI speed. If I were to purchase an additional 5268 AC, could this be configured to work as an extender? Would I also then have the option to configure it to provide guest WiFi with its own unique security?
If answering questions about in home networking is outside of your domain as an internet service provider, would you be able to suggest a networking consultant in the Sebastopol area who is familiar with Sonic and could do the interface and configuring work?
Thank you
by danielg4 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:54 am
You want a device that can function as an Access Point, rather than a router, to be the second device. AFAICT, the Pace does not have such a mode.
by captron248 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:08 pm
Sounds like you need an access point not a gateway. I'm using an Ubiquiti AC lite and it's working perfectly, can be had for around $80 on Amazon.
by pockyken007 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:30 pm
I user meraki AP and it works like a charm although there is a yearly license cost associated with it but you get amazing 24/7 support and great tools to monitor your network so there is that ....
by steve@realvo.com » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:34 pm
How do you set up the Ubiquiti? Is it easy enough? Does it require some other hardware?
5 posts Page 1 of 1